christopher-white-2

Live: False Nines

Manchester-based indie-rock band False Nines produced an excellent performance and impressed us in their first headline gig

8/10

False Nines, whom I had the pleasure of interviewing earlier this month for The Mancunion, took to the stage with spectacular results! This, their first headline gig, was a celebration of the release of their debut single ‘Can’t Afford to Wonder’’ released through LDN Recordings. They established this party atmosphere by throwing out party-poppers, balloons, giving out cupcakes, and providing the music to which to dance.

Taking place at the cosy venue of Castle Hotel in the Northern Quarter, False Nines played to a sold-out crowd. The audience was made up mostly of young, hip gig-goers with a high proportion of bearded men! Although, due to the nature of a small up and coming band, huddled into a corner were a few family members, selling singles and merchandise for the band. The beautiful design on the album sleeve was created by Italy-based designer Riccardo Sabatini.

Opening track ‘Call It Wrong’ is a cool mellow tune, and as a great foot-stomper was a good choice to begin. Song ‘Light a Fire’, however, with its hard hitting guitar, exploded the band and crowd alike and more than foot tapping took place! ‘Can’t Afford to Wonder’ came as False Nines’ penultimate track on their setlist, and the crowd were quite rightly into it. Full of energy, lead singer Aaron put in a great performance for this song, and from the audience’s reaction it was clear why this was their ‘single’ choice. Hindered by their lack of songs, False Nines didn’t bother with an encore, yet I’m certain they would have got one. Before playing the upbeat final track ‘Greater Things’, False Nines joked that this will definitely be their last song because they literally had no more to play.

All of these factors culminate together to make this a very solid first headline gig for the boys. With what they were given, they did excellently, and are well deserved of an eight out of ten.

Debut EP Can’t Afford to Wonder is now available to download from iTunes.

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility