jay-plent

Top 5 Anti-Valentine’s Day Songs

Alone this February 14th? Cheer yourself up with these anti-Valentine anthems

Do you, like every other singleton in the country, think Valentine’s Day is a commercial construct designed to sell greetings cards to idiots? Of course you do, and that’s the ONLY reason you hate it, right? Well fear not, crank up these five tracks to ease your achy-breaky heart.

Happyness – ‘It’s On You’ [Happyness EP, 2013]

As joyous a song as the band’s name suggests, Happyness’ debut EP is a fantastic collection of shoegaze anthems. To hell with the blues, you don’t need anyone else to enjoy this gem.

Photo Credit: Happyness – EP

Foo Fighters – ‘Cheer Up, Boys (Your Makeup Is Running)’ (Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, 2007)

Thematically appropriate title? Check. Bouncy energetic rock and roll? Check. Dave Grohl howling encouraging lyrics? Triple Check. Crank up this under-appreciated belter.

Photo Credit: Foo Fighters

Yuksek – ‘Always On The Run’ (Living on The Edge Of Time, 2011)

For those longing for a little electro flavor, try Yuksek; the charming, plinky piano part atop this powerful pumping beat is a recipe for instant smiley faces.

Photo Credit: Yuksek

Regina Spektor – ‘No Surprises’ (Single, 2010)

Of course a Radiohead song was gonna make this list, however, in a slight twist, we’re prescribing this incredibly beautiful cover by the one and only Regina Spektor. Tissues ready?

Photo credit: Regina Spektor

Josh Rouse – ‘1972’ (1972, 2003)

Alright look, if you REALLY have to cry your eyes out this February 14th, at least do it with the most soothing voice of the last few decades singing to you. Good ol’ Rouse.

Photo credit: Josh Rouse