hannah-brierley

Regression Sessions: Valentine’s Special

Ball pits and old men dressed as cherubs. What more could you want from Valentine’s day?

If someone had asked me if I would like to celebrate Valentine’s Day by having balls thrown at my face, I probably would have said no. Alas, this is how I spent my V-Day celebrations. Random people throwing space hoppers and the occasional rouge ball pit escapee flying through the air.

The Regression Sessions have a fun child-like aura about them. As soon as you trudge the Antwerp’s muddy entrance, you are greeted with a huge game of ‘spin the bottle’ and two girls dancing miraculously on towering stilts. As the night progressed, so did the bizarreness of the evening, at one point I recall a small old man dressed as a cherub handing out masks of Jay-Z and Kanye West, while the two girls were performing with fire… (I still don’t really understand).

The night overall was enjoyable, but with only two rooms and not a lot of variation in the music on either floor, you can often find yourself walking repeatedly up and down the stairs just to hear a song you like or recognise. But that’s not to say that they play really obscure techno music, with some hits from the likes of Disclosure and some old school 90s thrown in as well.

Antwerp is something completely like no other club in Manchester, and once visited it’s clear to see why as soon as you arrive. Along with this, Regression Sessions are run up and down the country and live for the weird and wonderful. This combination of the two is a strong one, and should be experienced at least once.

…Just mind out for all the couples getting busy outside in the smoking area.

Next Regression Session: Hippy Trippy Shakedown, is being held on 5th March 2016 at Antwerp Mansion.

Zara Larsson live in Manchester: Bringing ‘VENUS’ to Manchester’s Academy

Swedish pop sensation Zara Larsson returns to Manchester to headline the Academy after the release of her newest LP, ‘Venus’

The Last Dinner Party – Prelude to Ecstasy: A stellar debut from the UK’s most exciting new act

The Last Dinner Party cement their place as one of the most innovative up-and-coming bands in the UK, showcasing operatic vocals and evocative lyrics on their debut LP

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes live in Manchester: An ecstatic night of rock with the ‘Man of The Hour’

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes return to Manchester Academy after two years, bringing a night of moshpits and mayhem

Laufey live in Manchester: A Valentine’s night ‘bewitched’ by musical charm

Following her recent Grammy victory, Laufey takes the stage for a very special sold-out Valentine’s Day show at Manchester’s Albert Hall