hannah-brierley

Regression Sessions: Valentine’s Special

Ball pits and old men dressed as cherubs. What more could you want from Valentine’s day?

If someone had asked me if I would like to celebrate Valentine’s Day by having balls thrown at my face, I probably would have said no. Alas, this is how I spent my V-Day celebrations. Random people throwing space hoppers and the occasional rouge ball pit escapee flying through the air.

The Regression Sessions have a fun child-like aura about them. As soon as you trudge the Antwerp’s muddy entrance, you are greeted with a huge game of ‘spin the bottle’ and two girls dancing miraculously on towering stilts. As the night progressed, so did the bizarreness of the evening, at one point I recall a small old man dressed as a cherub handing out masks of Jay-Z and Kanye West, while the two girls were performing with fire… (I still don’t really understand).

The night overall was enjoyable, but with only two rooms and not a lot of variation in the music on either floor, you can often find yourself walking repeatedly up and down the stairs just to hear a song you like or recognise. But that’s not to say that they play really obscure techno music, with some hits from the likes of Disclosure and some old school 90s thrown in as well.

Antwerp is something completely like no other club in Manchester, and once visited it’s clear to see why as soon as you arrive. Along with this, Regression Sessions are run up and down the country and live for the weird and wonderful. This combination of the two is a strong one, and should be experienced at least once.

…Just mind out for all the couples getting busy outside in the smoking area.

Next Regression Session: Hippy Trippy Shakedown, is being held on 5th March 2016 at Antwerp Mansion.

Live review: Sudan Archives raises the bar at Band on the Wall

The American artist visited Manchester last Thursday, and her performance exemplified everything exciting about music right now
On ‘And In the Darkness, Hearts Aglow’ Weyes Blood shines

The ethereal singer-songwriter delivers strong track after strong track on her latest album
Sigur Ros move and exhilarate at O2 Apollo Manchester

The Icelandic post-rockers return to O2 Apollo Manchester to celebrate their illustrious 25-year career
The Lightning Seeds are still gleaming at the Albert Hall

Live at the Albert Hall, The Lightning Seeds are a blast of energy, joy, and riotously good tunes (including ‘Three Lions’ of course!)