laura-mills

International Women’s Day: Beauty Charities

International Women’s Day is approaching so Laura Mills talks you through a few charities that help give back to women in need

With International Women’s Day (8th March) just around the corner, what better time to start thinking of ways we can help out other women? Sure, telling someone how great you think they are is a good start but, if you’re looking to do a little something extra, here are two charities that keep women in mind and provide help to those who need it most.

Give and Makeup

Every week, two women in the UK are murdered by a partner or ex-partner. One in four women experience domestic violence in their lifetime and the average woman experiences domestic violence 35 times before phoning the police or telling a friend. It is with these figures in mind that Give and Makeup was set up by blogger and skincare guru Caroline Hirons. It is non-profit initiative that aims to get everyday essentials such as clothes, underwear, sanitary products, and personal hygiene products into the hands of women and children who have escaped, or are trying to escape, an abusive relationship and have been left with nothing.

We’ve all got spare products lying round the house. Whether it’s toothpaste, shower gel, or blusher, we’ve all probably got more than we need. Give and Makeup needs a variety of products to help them help women in need. Everything from nappies, tampons, deodorant, body lotion, bras, pyjamas, underwear, t-shirts, skirts, trousers, socks, children’s toys, and, of course, makeup. Most items can be sent second hand with the exception of mascara and lip-gloss (due to the risk of infections). For a list of where to send items please visit www.carolinehirons.com/p/give-and-makeup.html Alternatively, if you don’t want to donate clothes or makeup, you can make a donation online through Caroline’s website.

It’s difficult to imagine a life without having the basic essentials to brush your teeth, wash your hair, or apply a bit of makeup for a confidence boost, but sadly this is a reality for many women. You can do your bit by donating to Give and Makeup and help to make the lives of those in need a little more bearable.

Look Good Feel Better

Look Good Feel Better is a charity that provides practical support and workshops to women struggling with the side effects of cancer. They dedicate their time to improving the self-esteem, confidence, and well-being of those undergoing treatment. They run free workshops that focus on skin care and makeup, and create a sense of support and confidence to women who have often hit a low.

The charities held their first workshop in 1994 and have since helped nearly 200,000 women. They run workshops all over the UK and rely on volunteers to help make the brand a success. Providing women with a place to make friends, laugh, and feel good about themselves again is crucial during an overwhelming time where they can often feel isolated and reclusive due to changes with their appearance.

In order to run the workshops, they rely on product donations from brands, and also anyone who is able to help. Anything from eye makeup remover, cleanser, moisturiser, concealer, foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, and blusher is accepted, alongside fragrance and body lotions to add an extra bit of luxury.

Again, if donating products isn’t your thing, you can volunteer at one of their workshops. This is aimed more at beauty professionals, since the charity asks for a year’s minimum experience in the application of makeup or skincare. However, if you know someone whom this would suit, it’s always good to let them know.

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?