louisa-hall
2nd March 2016

Your quick guide to feminism in the Northern Capital

Exploring how to get the most out of ‘WOMANchester’

Manchester: The birthplace of Emmeline Pankhurst, the origin of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) and, of course, the base of the recently celebrated Reclaim the Night marches. In a city full of politically and morally fired-up groups, which campaign for equality across an unimaginable spectrum, becoming part of the feminist movement is easier than you may think.

We’re on the cusp of ‘Wonder Women’—a vibrant festival spreading across 10 days (3rd – 13th March) during which many events will be scattered around the city, from discussions about modern feminism, to performances and films ranging from the women of World War I to female restriction, and a particularly eye-catching workshop on the “most badass Northern women.” With such a great variety, it would be difficult to miss out.

Feminism doesn’t have to be all protests, marches and passionate shouting; becoming involved in upcoming events such as Women in Comedy (mid-to-late October) also helps to support and promote equality. This festival is a platform for female comedians who want to prove their valuable contribution within the comedy scene, and to diminish unequal gender distribution.

The rich feminist history of Manchester is worth further exploring, with a number of separate Feminist Walking Tours being available. This doesn’t even have to be official; the Pankhurst Centre could be a significant (and free!) starting point on your independent ‘Feminist Trail’.

There are so many ways to connect yourself to the feminist groups in Manchester; whether you’re more suffragist or suffragette, a pacifist or an activist, a shouter or a whisperer, a man or a woman, there are plenty of ways to get involved.

Three years at university: What have I learnt?

As the academic year draws to a close, here are some of the more unexpected lessons I have learnt from three years at Manchester University

How do we tackle the student loneliness crisis?

At a university where 45,000 students cross paths every day, it should be impossible to feel lonely

Keeping on top of the news cycle: How to stay up to date as a student

Being a student can mean an incredibly busy schedule, so how can you make time to find out what’s happening in the world?

Houseplant heaven: The best plants to brighten up your student home

With the RHS Urban Show coming to Manchester, we’ve found some of the best houseplants to enhance your student accommodation