louisa-hall
2nd March 2016

Your quick guide to feminism in the Northern Capital

Exploring how to get the most out of ‘WOMANchester’

Manchester: The birthplace of Emmeline Pankhurst, the origin of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) and, of course, the base of the recently celebrated Reclaim the Night marches. In a city full of politically and morally fired-up groups, which campaign for equality across an unimaginable spectrum, becoming part of the feminist movement is easier than you may think.

We’re on the cusp of ‘Wonder Women’—a vibrant festival spreading across 10 days (3rd – 13th March) during which many events will be scattered around the city, from discussions about modern feminism, to performances and films ranging from the women of World War I to female restriction, and a particularly eye-catching workshop on the “most badass Northern women.” With such a great variety, it would be difficult to miss out.

Feminism doesn’t have to be all protests, marches and passionate shouting; becoming involved in upcoming events such as Women in Comedy (mid-to-late October) also helps to support and promote equality. This festival is a platform for female comedians who want to prove their valuable contribution within the comedy scene, and to diminish unequal gender distribution.

The rich feminist history of Manchester is worth further exploring, with a number of separate Feminist Walking Tours being available. This doesn’t even have to be official; the Pankhurst Centre could be a significant (and free!) starting point on your independent ‘Feminist Trail’.

There are so many ways to connect yourself to the feminist groups in Manchester; whether you’re more suffragist or suffragette, a pacifist or an activist, a shouter or a whisperer, a man or a woman, there are plenty of ways to get involved.

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence