hannah-foy

Review: Battle of the Societies

The Cancer Awareness in Teenagers and Young People Society (CATS) host the talent Manchester University has on offer with their ‘Battle of the Societies’

CATS put on a showcase of Manchester’s talent in their battle of the societies on Monday evening. Lighting up Academy Two, we saw a range of acts from Irish dancing to poetry reading, the Indian society and the medics panto covering a range of cultures, disciplines, and entertainment.

The Cancer Awareness in Teenagers and Young People Society (CATS) aims to use such events to bring awareness of common cancer signs and promote continuous checks and awareness. It’s all done with a little tongue in cheek, regularly telling the audience to check their balls and the like, aiming that any possible signs can be diagnosed as soon as possible. Using the cat to symbolise the five key signs and symptoms of cancer; fatigue, weight loss, lumps, unexplained pains, and any changes in mood makes the process simple and easy, approachable for all ages.

Hosted by Tom Beaumont, who brought some light humour between acts and attempted to get some decent feedback from the quiet judges, the evening began with La Lunette, a band from the Live Music Society who set the tone for the evening’s talent. The Medics Revue brought about the many stereotypes of the UK’s countries, with some harsh and daring jokes. A more skilful performance came from the Indian Dance Society with a well-choreographed dance; equally the Dance Society came to their own with a robotic tap dance, followed by Irish dancing, two similar yet very separate skill sets brought together. I’m sorry to say the Comedy Society didn’t make me laugh, but I enjoyed the charades that brought the audience together at the beginning of the act.

Being a theatre fan, there were some wonderful musical reference in the Medics Panto; anything that can keep to the tune of Wicked’s Popular and Defying Gravity with a medical twist is certainly a fine craft to hold. The Indian Society beautifully incorporated traditional and modern music, both Indian and current UK hits, into an incredible melody of talent between the three performers. Finally, the A Capella group stole the stage in the last act of the night with two compositions, splitting harmonies across the group while keeping to the beat boxer’s tempo.

My only disappointment of the night were the judges—they had little to say about the acts, and solely attempting to be funny took the limelight away from them, a little childish and pointless at times. Their comments brought very little insight to the performance and held little critical impact.

Congratulations to the Indian Society who walked away with a £250 cash award, after first having to pick the notes up off the floor. The event promoted the work and talent of various societies across campus and all for a wonderful cause.

If you’re interested in finding out more check the CATS Manchester Facebook page for all upcoming events and details on how to get involved.