joe-murphy

WWE – Road to Wrestlemania

There are a lot of questions to be answered before WWE’s biggest event of the year on April 3rd in Dallas, Texas

The Roman Empire to play The Game

After winning a triple threat match at the recent pay-per-view Fastlane, it was confirmed that Roman Reigns will face Triple H for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in the main event at Wrestlemania. Although it wasn’t the most popular choice with fans, Reigns defeated his ‘brother’ Dean Ambrose and ‘The Beast Incarnate’, Brock Lesnar, meaning he will headline the biggest show of the year for the second successive year. Recently on Monday Night Raw, Triple H attacked the former shield member, cutting his head open with the timekeeper’s bell before slamming him onto the announcers table. There is little doubt that, in the weeks to follow, Roman will get revenge on the COO of the company, more than likely involving a spear or two. I predict that Reigns will emerge victorious when all said and done, with 14-time champion Triple H putting over the future face of the company.

Shane O Mac is Shane O Back!

Whereas the Reigns victory was easily predictable, the return of Shane McMahon after 7 years away from the company was a surreal moment. Nobody could have predicted his return during a segment where his father Vince McMahon was giving out an award to daughter, and wife of Triple H, Stephanie. What followed was equally shocking, with Shane demanding control of Monday night Raw from The Authority (Triple H and Stephanie). It was stated that Shane is holding an unknown power over his father so Vince agreed to give him control of WWE’s flagship show if he can win one match, one time. Unfortunately for Shane, this was revealed to be against The Undertaker, at Wrestlemania, inside Hell in a Cell, setting up one of the most interesting angles in recent WWE history. I personally can’t see the Undertaker losing cleanly, so I predict that Shane loses and The Authority retain power, leaving Undertaker to have one final match next year before retiring, probably against John Cena.

The Lunatic Fringe heading for a street fight in Suplex City

‘Thou shall not intentionally provoke Brock Lesnar’ is the 11th commandment according to The Beasts advocate Paul Heyman. This commandment fell on deaf ears when it came to Dean Ambrose. During the main event of Fastlane, Ambrose used a low blow, then a chair to down Lesnar. The next night before Raw even started, Lesnar attacked the lunatic fringe, suplexing him into a car windscreen, forcing him to go to hospital. Later that night, a clearly wounded Ambrose drove this same ambulance back into the arena. Lesnar again attacked him, but Dean wouldn’t stay down, despite receiving an F-5 on the floor. Dean managed to request a street fight for the show of shows in April, an offer that the former UFC fighter couldn’t refuse. I predict that Lesnar wins with relative ease, but Ambrose puts up a valiant effort, coming out of Wrestlemania looking strong.

Tag Team Turmoil

The current tag team champions, ‘The New Day’, as we all know, are brilliant. With their bumbling humour and loveable personalities, they have made 3 very ordinary superstars, extraordinary! Yet, there still seems to be a problem for WWE, when is there not? The WWE struggles to book the ‘The New Day’, which could be problematic, especially with Wrestlemania right around the corner. Looking at the roster, there are no current tag teams that can keep up with the energy and spark that ‘The New Day’ has. The ‘Usos’ have been done one too many times, The Dudley boys have one, and one only exciting move, and the ‘League of Nations’ are as much fun as your great-auntie’s birthday. So what does the WWE do with the current tag team champions? Well, personally I think the WWE has never been in such need of a tag team return in a while. With fast lane been and gone, it only leaves it to one of the remaining RAW episode to bring back The New Day’s Wrestle mania opponents. But who I hear you ask? Well, there are many options. The first names that spring to mind or the amazing Jeff and Matt Hardy. Very much the ‘Usos’ of their day, but as a kind of upgrade. With their high flying, and I-will-do-anything-literally style, they are guaranteed to create some volume in the AT&T Stadium. Even though both Matt and Jeff Hardy were not known for their mic skills, there in-ring ability does all the talking for them, and The Hardy Boys vs The New Day would be a match that every WWE fan would like to see.

Injury Crisis

John Cena, Seth Rollins, Sting, Cesaro, Randy Orton, Wade Barrett, Tyson Kidd and many more are all currently on the sidelines. This crisis is one of the worst to hit the WWE, with all these big names (who sell tickets and therefore make money) out, storylines have had to be changed to put together a show for Texas. Even the recent retirement of fan favourite Daniel Bryan is a huge loss for the company. It can’t be helped, injuries happen, but it is all about what WWE can do without many of its top stars. I believe there are only 2 solutions, one such is to promote people from NXT (WWE’s developmental group) such as Finn Balor, Baron Corbin, Samoa Joe, Bayley and Enzo & Big Cass. These names are respected throughout much of the WWE Universe and many feel as if they are ready for the main roster. Alternatively, bring back big names. Although The Rock is known to be appearing at Wrestlemania, it is not thought to be in a wrestling capacity. WWE needs to get some big names returning, such as Stone Cold Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam, or even Batista.

Divas Revolution?

It is no secret that women’s wrestling was in a bad place this time last year and has since become much more of a focus, meaning it has become more respected by fans. The quality of performance shown by Superstars such as Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch and Divas Champion Charlotte means that Women have now a real place in WWE. I feel that the potential triple threat between these 3 women at Wrestlemania could be a show stealer, and Banks should be winning her first main roster title.