imran-bukhari

Top 5: Directors DiCaprio should work with next

With the pressure of winning an Oscar lifted, here are some directors that he has yet to collaborate with, who could showcase a different side to the actor

5) J. J. Abrams

DiCaprio has successfully evaded many pitfalls by avoiding superhero films and generic blockbusters. But there is one director who has proven to be attuned to making films with a golden Hollywood sheen —akin to the days of 80s Spielberg, Abrams has successfully reinvigorated the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises—and whatever project he takes on next, having DiCaprio in the lead could lead to movie magic.

4) Paul Greengrass

There are a lot of great action directors out there (George Miller, Kathryn Bigelow and Michael Mann to name a few). But Greengrass has proven with the Bourne movies, that he is the most skilful at juggling frenetic fight scenes with a gripping thriller heartbeat. DiCaprio proclaimed in his Oscar acceptance speech that we need to take care of our planet. He is the perfect man to save the world on screen.

3) David Fincher

Fincher on paper would be the perfect fit to DiCaprio’s brand of acting. His dark, complex stories such as Se7en and Gone Girl provide a platform for sociopaths and serial killers. DiCaprio has played the villain before with great success in Django Unchained, but that was very much a supporting role. Place DiCaprio front and centre as an unhinged psychopath and the next iconic screen villain could be born.

2) The Coen Brothers

The Coen brothers have worked with everyone—Clooney, Pitt, Damon, so it comes as some surprise that DiCaprio hasn’t joined the party. The Coen Brothers are most effective when telling stories that incorporate their zany brand of humour with a character dealing with real pathos. The Wolf of Wall Street demonstrated DiCaprio’s comedic timing—and with the Coen’s at the helm, DiCaprio could stretch his acting range in ways audiences have yet to see.

1) Paul Thomas Anderson

And if DiCaprio just wants to win another Oscar, he should work with Paul Thomas Anderson.

The Promised Land review: Man on the moor

This rugged tale of Danish frontier settlement is also a story of struggle – against the land, entrenched hierarchies, and within oneself

Opinion: Every Best Picture winner of the 21st century, ranked from worst to best

With the 96th Academy Awards looming, let’s look back at this century’s winners of the big grand prize of Best Picture

Do Unto Others review: A harrowing look into the unjust world of elderly care

A dissection of the choices we make and the motives behind them, Tetsu Maeda’s film analyses the state of elderly care in Japan through a whodunit thriller

What TV show and film you should watch next based on your star sign

If you’re wondering what to watch next on your study breaks, then look no further because the Mancunion has a carefully curated list of film and TV recommendations based on your star sign