charlie-spargo
21st July 2016

Universities announce fees of over £9,000 before government approval

Students about to begin their applications to go to university in 2017 may be faced with fees of more than the current £9,000 cap

Even before official approval that universities may set tuition fees above the current £9,000 cap, some higher education institutions have already announced fees above that limit.

Durham, Kent, and Royal Holloway have already advertised fees at £9,250 for undergraduate courses in the 2017/18 year, despite the fact the vote in Parliament is yet to occur—and even if it does, only institutions that can display the highest quality teaching will be able to put fees up.

Other universities are either yet to publish 2017/18 fees or have displayed £9,000 fees with statements they are subject to change dependent on government policy.

Durham’s fee display for the upcoming academic years. Photo: dur.ac.uk

These fees come with the clarification that the £250-a-year increase is subject to changes in the rate of inflation as well as the approval by the government, though they do not appear to reference that their institution would still need to meet set teaching criteria, on the same page.

Students starting their applications for university this coming academic year will therefore be faced with potential fee levels above the current maximum, potentially before the reform has even been passed by the government.

It has been described by the Liberal Democrats’ education spokesman John Pugh as “disgraceful arrogance from some universities.

“They’ve not even shown their plans for linking fee rises to Parliament. So why are they giving universities the impression that they will pass their teaching quality assessment?”

According to Higher Education reform proposals that are being scrutinised and approved by the government at the moment, if a university can display teaching of a high enough standard using a new Teaching Excellence Framework, they will be able to increase their fees in line with inflation.

Gordon Marsden, the Shadow Education Minister, warned that this move could mean there was no limit to which fees could rise. Following the vote to leave the European Union, no guarantee could be made of what level inflation could reach, meaning a “potential for significant rises in fee costs.”

Sally Hunt, UCU General Secretary, said: “Universities advertising increased fees before the law has even been changed is just another blight on the sorry debacle that is the government’s plan for higher education.

“The time surely has now come for the government to stop the Higher Education Bill and think again.

“Those universities foolish enough to advertise higher fees will be doing nothing to quell concerns from students and parents that they are simply after as much cash as they can get.”

A government spokesperson said: “The teaching excellence framework will allow universities to maintain fees in line with inflation only if they meet a quality bar, as set out in the recent higher education White Paper.”

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25