rebekah-shaw

Top 5: Post-Freshers Comedown

Freshers is over and the fact that you’ve got a 9am tomorrow physically hurts. Flop down into your beanbag chair for the Mancunion’s top five songs for the post-freshers comedown

With the end of Freshers Week approaching and those hungover Sundays sinking in, here are some tunes to get you through the drunken fog.

1. Peace – ‘Float Forever’
True to its title this track floats along on a tide of echoing melodic guitar, musingly chilled, best enjoyed whilst relaxing in a beanbag chair of course.

2. The Antlers – ‘Crest’
Silberman’s dreamy vocals dragged through reverb paired with plenty of muted brass on this track feels silky and suave.

3. Warpaint – ‘Feeling Alright’
Perfectly encompassing a determination to survive anything life throws at you, this moody track has the kind of wistful grit needed to insist that you are “careless, not hopeless”.

4. The Beatles – ‘I Want You (She’s So Heavy)’
Almost 8 minutes of intense Beatles bluesy rock with enough warp to make your head spin, a sultry Sunday afternoon hangover must.

5. Weezer – ‘Island In The Sun’
Cling onto the last remnants of summer with this sunny track: ‘Island in the Sun’ can stave off those post-freshers blues. Even the most novice guitarist can look at the chords for this song and feel great about themselves.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark