emily-driscoll
3rd October 2016

Science vs. Art

Science and art come together in new ‘BioArt’

In many peoples’ minds, the world of scientific study is quite far removed from the creativity you would expect from art. Systematic study does not seem to lend itself to the creativity and emotion that goes into art as we know it, though is this completely true?

BioArt, founded in the late 20th century, is the art movement that shocks and inspires wonder as it showcases the beauty found in the gooey bits that make us who we are. Though many have asked whether this form of art is playing God, the movement provides some truly beautiful displays that can last as long as it can be kept alive. Whether it is plants, living tissue, or simply photographs and scans, the end results are absolutely stunning.

Suzanne Acker is a leading BioArtist from the USA however, we have home-grown talent in the UK in the form of Anna Dumitriu whose work has been showcased around the world. Dumitriu holds workshops around the world which are both educational and beautiful, showing people from all walks of life how science and art needn’t be so distinct from one another.

As the world becomes more self-conscious and the body is more and more under scrutiny, it’s quite humbling to know that even on the smallest level of existence all life can be breath-taking. Even if BioArt isn’t your thing, the amalgamation of creativity and science has given us at least one message to take away: we are all made of stunningly pretty bits of goo!

A celebration of Jewish art in Manchester: Introducing Synagogue Scratch

This month, Synagogue Scratch is returning to Manchester Jewish Museum. The series represents a unique opportunity to enjoy new, groundbreaking performances by Jewish artists, in the museum’s beautifully preserved 1874 Synagogue.

Making Manchester #3: Eleanor Haigh

Performing across the UK from Edinburgh Fringe to London, Eleanor Haigh embraces the spotlight with a multitude of talent. She breaks down what draws her to the arts and the biggest challenges facing artists today.

Horoscopes: Art meets star signs

This week we’re helping you align your planets with paintings. Check out the artist whose style suits your star sign.

Making Manchester #2: Laurent Swyngedauw

Continuing our Mancunian series, Laurent Swyngedauw tells us the best spots for capturing great shots in Manchester, and how make a photograph your own