laura-joyce

Manchester’s Must-See Monuments

Ever the arts-hub, we look at Manchester’s most exciting and interesting sculptures

Alan Turing

A pioneer in modern computing, this tribute to Alan Turing is situated in Sackville Gardens. Turing is commonly well-known as the ‘founder of computer science’. He is also something of an icon in the gay community, following his suffering during a time when homosexuality was illegal in Britain. Naturally, the memorial sits close to Canal Street, Manchester’s gay village.

Tree of Remembrance

Designed by Wolfgang Buttress and Fiona Heron, Piccadilly Gardens plays host to the Tree of Remembrance. Erected to mark VE (Victory in Europe) Day in 2005, the metal tree is a symbol for the civilians who lost their lives in the Second World War. Around the trunk are the names of said civilians.
Messenger of Peace

At the centre of the peace garden situated at the rear of the Town Hall near St. Peter’s Square, sits the Messenger of Peace. The figure marks Manchester becoming the world’s first ever nuclear-free zone in 1980. The statue was erected in 1986, created by sculptor Barbara Pearson.

Ishinki Touchstone

“Ishinki” meaning “form returning to its heart” was created by Kan Yasuda. Weighing an incredible 18 tonnes, this polished stone is made from Carrara marble, and rests in Barbirolli Square outside Bridgewater Hall.

Big Horn

Acting as the gateway to Manchester’s Northern Quarter, the Big Horn by David Kemp was completed in 1999. The horn appears to be wrapped around the remains of an old building on the junction of Tib Street and Church Street.

Life Cycle

Created by George Wylie, the Life Cycle is situated outside Deansgate Station. This huge metal bike was built in 1995. The bike is a symbol of the small things each of us can do to help ease the strain on the environment.

A celebration of Jewish art in Manchester: Introducing Synagogue Scratch

This month, Synagogue Scratch is returning to Manchester Jewish Museum. The series represents a unique opportunity to enjoy new, groundbreaking performances by Jewish artists, in the museum’s beautifully preserved 1874 Synagogue.

Making Manchester #3: Eleanor Haigh

Performing across the UK from Edinburgh Fringe to London, Eleanor Haigh embraces the spotlight with a multitude of talent. She breaks down what draws her to the arts and the biggest challenges facing artists today.

Horoscopes: Art meets star signs

This week we’re helping you align your planets with paintings. Check out the artist whose style suits your star sign.

Making Manchester #2: Laurent Swyngedauw

Continuing our Mancunian series, Laurent Swyngedauw tells us the best spots for capturing great shots in Manchester, and how make a photograph your own