tara-bharadia

Album: AlunaGeorge – I Remember

AlunaGeorge have returned with a brilliantly produced second album, writes Tara Bharadia

16th September 2016 via Island Records

9/10

Electro-duo Aluna Francis and George Reid have returned with the follow-up to their 2013 debut album, Body Music. After working on separate projects over the last two years, the duo that met over MySpace back in 2009 are currently touring as a supporting act for Sia on the ‘Nostalgic for the Present Tour’.

In the past their work has been criticised for “blending into one” and while the same could potentially be argued for their newest release, fans of the eclectic mix of synth-pop and R&B will be able to distinguish subtle differences between albums. I Remember is off the back of the release of AlunaGeorge’s singles, following their 2013 record. While the early tracks can be considered a more chilled out take on the genre of electro-pop (it’s fair to say that Body Music was baby-making music), the singles since have been filled with more feel-good vibes and I Remember perfectly captures the band’s maturation between albums.

With a track list full of featured artists that you may or may not have heard of, Aluna’s childlike yet pleasing voice and George’s constant change in production techniques perfectly blend to make every next track a surprise. The album is full of certified dance-floor fillers like ‘Heartbreak Horizon’ and ‘Mean What I Mean’ and tracks where Aluna really explores her writing and voice such as ‘Mediator’ and ‘In My Head’.

Flume takes on the role of producer in collaboration on the album’s title track and leaves a clearly distinguishing mark, the single of which was released earlier this year. However, flawless production seems to be the theme of the album with the differences between ‘Wanderlust’ and ‘Not Above Love’ showcasing just how truly diverse the duo can be. The pair have been able to do something quite rare with this album; they’ve been able to create an album that changes every time you listen to it. In every track you hear something you missed before.

Tara Bharadia

Tara Bharadia

Section Editor for Puzzles and Horoscopes

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark