tarun-daryanani

Channeling the glamour goth – Halloween does not have to be cliché

Beyond cliché costumes there are numerous ideas to spookily dress up whilst keeping it subtle. Tarun Daryanani addresses how?

By the time October hits there seems to be a rush of excitement as to how this years’ Halloween façade shall differ from previous ones. We channel our inner child and play around with makeup and costumes creating a concoction of heavy black eyes and splats of blood as if we have been a victim of Jack the Ripper.

Surely it would be amusing to impersonate Frankenstein or a slutty vampire, but after years of witnessing people show their appreciation for fictional psychopaths, the usual ideas are getting repetitive. Go gothic or go home (keeping it fashion of course).

Alexander Mcqueen and Rick Owens have an exuberant history into bringing Gothicism into the forefront whilst keeping the fashion uber chic. Alexander Mcqueen lusts for lace and possess a signature for dramatic, sheer black gowns resembling a provocative Dracula bride—still eerie but glamorous.

The dark eroticism surrounding the current Mcqueen collections exposes Halloween inspiration—sophisticated and a little mysterious. Thick heavy eye makeup and black lips boosts the image of a grunge woman.

Cross necklaces embodying gothic, Christian culture oozes the extra edge satisfying the needs of the fashion savvy party goer. Jet black Latex and shiny satin fabrics display the uncanny yet mod image of a mysterious, possessed princess.

Rick Owens avoids the commercialism behind his spooky collections. Uneven hems and oversized black hoods layering over flowy black dresses creates a unique aesthetic, one which resembles a streetwear inspired acid witch. The latex high top boots add a grungy sportswear vibe which shows this witch is ahead of the fashion times.

The important statement to make is that Halloween does not mean following the crowd but rather standing out from it. Keeping it sophisticated yet sexy is key in channelling your inner darkness.

Mcqueen and Owens are placed on opposite ends of the fashion spectrum—one desires for gothic romanticism whilst the other channels a modern darkness through streetwear. This week’s important question—which do you choose?

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway
Beauty advent calendars: The best of this year

Whether you are a makeup head, skincare junkie or self-care queen, have fun counting down to Christmas with these advent calendars. Here are The  Mancuion’s beauty team suggestions
Primark goes online – RIP sustainable fashion

Primark has announced they’re moving online. But why? Is this really necessary for an already successful company?
Extreme beauty procedures: The Botox craze

We look into rising botox trends that move beyond the face into the strangest places imaginable, like feet and bladders! Read about the doctors who perform these treatments and the reasons people are getting.