stuart-grantham

Top 5: Songs to introduce you to classical music

Finding yourself out of the loop when your musical friends talk classical? Stuart Grantham has compiled an introduction to catch you up in no time

5. Piano Trio No. 2 by Franz Schubert

A piece from the Romantic period, in just nine minutes Schubert gives us a comprehensive introduction to the capabilities of the piano, violin and cello through exploring one simple line of melody.

4. Piano Sonata No. 8 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Light, airy, charming, and with an easy to follow motif throughout. This piece is a perfect introduction to Beethoven’s Classical and Romantic compositions.

3. Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy 

One of the most played piano sonatas ever written, and well deserving of its popularity. This Romantic-era track overflows with beauty.

2.Clapping Music by Steve Reich

This track perfectly sums up minimalist modern classical music, so simply you and a friend could perform it, yet its weaving rhythms can entertain you far more than the 3:49 run time.

1. Tannhäuser Overture by Richard Wagner

One of the best overtures from one of the best opera composers ever born, its bombastic brilliance is emulated in many modern film scores including Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Zara Larsson live in Manchester: Bringing ‘VENUS’ to Manchester’s Academy

Swedish pop sensation Zara Larsson returns to Manchester to headline the Academy after the release of her newest LP, ‘Venus’

The Last Dinner Party – Prelude to Ecstasy: A stellar debut from the UK’s most exciting new act

The Last Dinner Party cement their place as one of the most innovative up-and-coming bands in the UK, showcasing operatic vocals and evocative lyrics on their debut LP

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes live in Manchester: An ecstatic night of rock with the ‘Man of The Hour’

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes return to Manchester Academy after two years, bringing a night of moshpits and mayhem

Laufey live in Manchester: A Valentine’s night ‘bewitched’ by musical charm

Following her recent Grammy victory, Laufey takes the stage for a very special sold-out Valentine’s Day show at Manchester’s Albert Hall