katie-r-shepherd
2nd March 2017

Top 5: Songs from Disney Movies

Whilst ‘Let It Go’ saw Disney’s Frozen soar into the charts, Katie Shepherd lists five other Disney classics that deserve just as much recognition

Three words. I know them. You know them. You probably spent the majority of the past three years trying to escape them. And no, it’s not ‘I love you’.

‘Let It Go’ not only saw Frozen take over pretty much the entire Western world, but it completely changed the game for animated movie soundtracks. It dominated the charts, it won several prestigious awards and it has captivated children and adults alike with the magic of Disney. But while ‘Let It Go’ is fantastically catchy, here are five other songs from animated Disney movies that deserve just as much recognition.

1.’I’ll Make A Man Out of You’ —  Donny Osmond

I am a firm believer that there is no problem that will not be made easier by listening to this song. One line in of this powerful track and there is nothing to stop you defeating the Japanese Huns, or indeed, that essay you’ve been putting off for three weeks.

2.’How Far I’ll Go’ — Auli’i Cravalho

If you’ve seen Disney’s latest, Moana, you will know how contagiously feel-good this song is. Auli’i’s beautiful vocals combined with the empowering lyrics result in a song that makes you feel like even you could pick up an oar and sail off on a world-saving adventure across the Pacific.

3.’Hakuna Matata’ — Nathan Lane, Ernie Sabella, Jason Weaver and Joseph Williams

The Swahili phrase became internationally popular through this song, written by Elton John and Tim Rice, who found it in a Swahili phrasebook. The song remains one of the most well-known and iconic Disney songs, which can easily have you singing and dancing all your own worries away.

4.’Zero to Hero’ — The Muses

The Hercules soundtrack was done dirty. The female chorus, The Muses, bring the Greek mythology behind this film to live with their celebratory Gospel style and sharp, witty lyrics, and deserves so much more recognition.

5.’You’re Welcome’ — Dwayne Johnson

The second song from Moana on this list, Dwayne Johnson’s portrayal of demi-God Maui in this track captures everything needed for a Disney hit. This is the perfect song to get you revitalised and re-motivated during those long hours of the study period.

Yard Act live in Manchester: An unforgettably ace headline at the O2 Apollo

Yard Act return to the Manchester stage with new album, ‘Where’s My Utopia?’, in a night of dance-party celebration