katie-r-shepherd
2nd March 2017

Top 5: Songs from Disney Movies

Whilst ‘Let It Go’ saw Disney’s Frozen soar into the charts, Katie Shepherd lists five other Disney classics that deserve just as much recognition

Three words. I know them. You know them. You probably spent the majority of the past three years trying to escape them. And no, it’s not ‘I love you’.

‘Let It Go’ not only saw Frozen take over pretty much the entire Western world, but it completely changed the game for animated movie soundtracks. It dominated the charts, it won several prestigious awards and it has captivated children and adults alike with the magic of Disney. But while ‘Let It Go’ is fantastically catchy, here are five other songs from animated Disney movies that deserve just as much recognition.

1.’I’ll Make A Man Out of You’ —  Donny Osmond

I am a firm believer that there is no problem that will not be made easier by listening to this song. One line in of this powerful track and there is nothing to stop you defeating the Japanese Huns, or indeed, that essay you’ve been putting off for three weeks.

2.’How Far I’ll Go’ — Auli’i Cravalho

If you’ve seen Disney’s latest, Moana, you will know how contagiously feel-good this song is. Auli’i’s beautiful vocals combined with the empowering lyrics result in a song that makes you feel like even you could pick up an oar and sail off on a world-saving adventure across the Pacific.

3.’Hakuna Matata’ — Nathan Lane, Ernie Sabella, Jason Weaver and Joseph Williams

The Swahili phrase became internationally popular through this song, written by Elton John and Tim Rice, who found it in a Swahili phrasebook. The song remains one of the most well-known and iconic Disney songs, which can easily have you singing and dancing all your own worries away.

4.’Zero to Hero’ — The Muses

The Hercules soundtrack was done dirty. The female chorus, The Muses, bring the Greek mythology behind this film to live with their celebratory Gospel style and sharp, witty lyrics, and deserves so much more recognition.

5.’You’re Welcome’ — Dwayne Johnson

The second song from Moana on this list, Dwayne Johnson’s portrayal of demi-God Maui in this track captures everything needed for a Disney hit. This is the perfect song to get you revitalised and re-motivated during those long hours of the study period.

Faye Webster live in Manchester: Artistic vulnerability in the face of the public eye

Atlanta singer-songwriter Faye Webster merged her innovative instrumentals with R&B and indie influences at an ambient gig at the Albert Hall

The Wedding Present live in Manchester: Northern national treasures return to revive 1994 LP Watusi

In 2024, The Wedding Present returned to Manchester to play their 1994 album Watusi in full to a rapturous response

Been Stellar ‘Scream From New York, NY’: An outstanding debut from Dirty Hit’s latest protégés

Dirty Hit’s newest prospect Been Stellar make their musical debut with the Dan Carey produced ‘Scream From New York, NY’

The Girls Aloud Show: A touching return from a legendary girl group

After over ten years away from the stage, pop sensation Girls Aloud bring their reunion tour to Manchester’s AO Arena