ben-lomax

Tracks of the Week: 20th March

Snoop Dogg gets political in this week’s rundown, writes Ben Lomax
Tracks of the Week: 20th March

‘Chanel’ – Frank Ocean

Thankfully out of step with his previous four-year wait for new music, ‘Chanel’ is Frank Ocean’s most explicit comment on sexuality since his ‘coming out’ of sorts in a blog post back in 2012. It’s an exploration of duality over the characteristically forward-thinking production that would’ve fit comfortably on last year’s Blonde. It also gets bonus points for featuring the best fashion logo based-double entendre you’re likely to hear for a while.

‘3WW’ – Alt-J

A left-field lead single from Alt-J’s forthcoming album RELAXER, ‘3WW’ sees Alt-J leaning on some of their more electronic influences and hints at an album that plays up to its subtleties every bit as much as its predecessor. It takes its time, but following the trend of their previous album openers, the pay-off is worth the wait. With guest vocals from Ellie Rowsell (of Wolf Alice fame) the track goes from a fidgety electronic groove to a sublime duet over soft string arrangements and deep, sizzling synths.

‘Lavender (Nightfall Remix)’ – BadBadNotGood ft. Kaytranada & Snoop Dogg

Snoop attracted attention from the orange nightmare and Tweeter-In-Chief himself this week by releasing this remix alongside a video showing him pretend to shoot a familiarly-fashioned clown by the name of “Ronald Krump”. Snoop Dogg adds a nice menacing touch to the sticky groove of this already great collaboration. It’s everything political rap should be in 2017 and if you-know-who’s calling for “Jail time!” you’re probably doing something right.

Live Review: Lea Salonga at Bridgewater Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Lea Salonga’s Dream Again Tour at the Bridgewater Hall
Live Review: Peaches brings her Teaches to Manchester

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor reviews Peaches’ stop at the O2 Ritz on her Teaches of Peaches 20th anniversary tour.
Live Review: Horsegirl at YES Manchester

Kevin Thomas reviews Horsegirl’s enthralling show at YES Manchester
Saint Etienne Live Review: Back with a splash

Izzy Langhamer reviews the latest ‘Saint Etienne’ gig, which saw them perform latest releases from ‘I’ve Been Trying To Tell You’, as well as fan favourites and 90s hits