shema-begum
4th July 2017

Preview: The Big Sick

The romantic comedy from comedian, actor, and writer Kumail Nanjiani

The Big Sick is a new romantic comedy starring Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan. Nanjiani who is most well-known for his stand-up comedy, and role on the acclaimed TV show Silicon Valley, also wrote the film alongside his wife Emily V Gordon.

The film is loosely based on the couple’s relationship, depicting the courtship between Kumail and Emily. Problems arise, obviously, as Kumail comes from a Pakistani Muslim background and his parents seek to get him an arranged marriage. The film follows the culture clash and family troubles that occur. Further complications however arise when Emily becomes sick, and is placed in a medically-induced coma.

The Big Sick had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, where Sony Pictures and Fox Searchlight Pictures were amongst those who bid for the distribution rights, though ultimately it went to Amazon Studios for $12 million, which marked the second largest deal of the festival.

So far the film has been praised for its refreshing take on what seems to be a familiar story. The characters are authentic, and the portrayal of them by the cast has been commended.

Producing a wide range of laughs from its political to pop culture jokes, the film revels in its depth. The Big Sick has already been considered as potentially following the footsteps of ‘Four Weddings and Funeral’ as an alternative, rom-com Oscar contender.

A preview showing and Q&A with Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V Gordon is taking place this Thursday at Vue Cinemas in Printworks. The film is being released on 28th July.

The trailer can be found here.

Mad Max at 45: The fall of a franchise?

For a franchise as inseparably associated with high-octane dystopian action as Mad Max is, its much-forgotten first instalment actually isn’t all that ‘Mad’. So, with the release of Furiosa, lets see how far the franchise may have fallen

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film