shema-begum
4th July 2017

Preview: The Big Sick

The romantic comedy from comedian, actor, and writer Kumail Nanjiani

The Big Sick is a new romantic comedy starring Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan. Nanjiani who is most well-known for his stand-up comedy, and role on the acclaimed TV show Silicon Valley, also wrote the film alongside his wife Emily V Gordon.

The film is loosely based on the couple’s relationship, depicting the courtship between Kumail and Emily. Problems arise, obviously, as Kumail comes from a Pakistani Muslim background and his parents seek to get him an arranged marriage. The film follows the culture clash and family troubles that occur. Further complications however arise when Emily becomes sick, and is placed in a medically-induced coma.

The Big Sick had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, where Sony Pictures and Fox Searchlight Pictures were amongst those who bid for the distribution rights, though ultimately it went to Amazon Studios for $12 million, which marked the second largest deal of the festival.

So far the film has been praised for its refreshing take on what seems to be a familiar story. The characters are authentic, and the portrayal of them by the cast has been commended.

Producing a wide range of laughs from its political to pop culture jokes, the film revels in its depth. The Big Sick has already been considered as potentially following the footsteps of ‘Four Weddings and Funeral’ as an alternative, rom-com Oscar contender.

A preview showing and Q&A with Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V Gordon is taking place this Thursday at Vue Cinemas in Printworks. The film is being released on 28th July.

The trailer can be found here.

Cosy up with Backyard Cinema this Autumn

A preview of Backyard Cinema, the immersive movie experience coming to Manchester this Autumn.
Comfort Films and TV shows to cure the freshers blues

Freshers week and moving to university can be a daunting experience even for the most excited fresher so The Mancunion’s On-screen team have got a list of the films and TV shows they turn to for comfort when feeling blue!
Cannes 2022: Armageddon Time and understanding your privilege

James Gray’s Armageddon Time is a heartbreaking story of a young boy who begins to understand his privilege growing up in 1980s New York.
Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.