• Sport
  • St Helens 16-26 Wigan: The Warriors keep play-off hopes alive in derby victory

jamie-mcevoy

St Helens 16-26 Wigan: The Warriors keep play-off hopes alive in derby victory

Shaun Wane’s Wigan Warriors rally after their Challenge Cup final loss with a confident victory over a struggling Saints side

After the disappointing defeat to Hull FC at Wembley the previous weekend, the Cherry and Whites confidently surged to a much needed victory against local rivals St Helens.

Two early tries from Oliver Gildart appeared to sucker punch Saints, who were fired up upon the debut of full-back Ben Barba.  Justin Holbrook’s side were consequently playing catch up for the full game, failing to ever draw level.

Debutant Barba was donning the badge of The Red V for the first time, after serving a 12 match suspension which had been carried over from his failed drug test in the Australian National Rugby League.  Despite marking his debut with a try in the 21st minute following a mazy run, he had a catastrophic opening to the match. His wayward pass was cut out by Joe Burgess who released Gildart, leading to the second of Wigan’s tries in the first five minutes.

Fan favourite Anthony Gelling went over to score early in the second half, but it was George Williams — making his 100th appearance for the Warriors — who dealt the knockout blow, touching down a minute later.  Williams finished the game with five conversions, and was responsible for over half of his team’s points in a game which was a must-win for the Lancashire side.

Skipper Sean O’Loughlin was fantastic, and Sam Tomkins carried on a rich vein of form, epitomised by an excellent last-ditch tackle on St Helens winger Regan Grace.

Wigan now stand one point behind fourth placed Wakefield Trinity, and two points behind Challenge Cup champions Hull FC.  Their hopes of play off qualification are much brighter than those of Saints, who are three points behind the last qualification spot, with Salford Red Devils and Huddersfield Giants breathing down their neck.  With a mere three games left to play in the Super 8s, things are looking desperate.

Saints’ next game is against Wakefield.  They would be doing both themselves and Wigan a massive favour by emerging victorious against the West Yorkshire side.  Wane’s side have the opportunity to avenge their cup final defeat, travelling to the KCOM Stadium a day later.  Whilst the Warriors can possibly afford to drop points in one of their remaining fixtures, Saints coach Holbrook is well aware that his team must win all three.

Man of the match: Sean O’Loughlin

The Wigan Warriors veteran once again proved why he is a club hero.  One of several players who were suffering from illness in the days leading up to the game, the Wigan captain was outstanding and typically ruthless.  He played for a straight 56 minutes before being subbed off, and then returned to instil calm in his side, keeping them on course for a vital and hard-fought triumph.

DOING WHAT THE MEN COULDN’T: THE IMPORTANCE OF THE LIONESSES EURO WIN

The Lionesses brought football home in 2022, something the men haven’t done since 1966. The whole nation supported our women this summer, and this momentum must be continued for the good of the game.
“If there’s no legacy to this … what are we doing?”: A love letter to Women’s Football

I’ve always loved football but it hasn’t always been easy … will the 2022 Euros change that for girls nationwide?
5”1 in a giants world: In conversation with Amrisha Kudhail

An interview with Amrisha Kudhail, discussing the excitement building around basketball, her transition from a dance background and advice for those wanting to become involved within the sports industry
Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester