• Culture
  • Music
  • Gig Preview: Upclose: Manchester Camerata & Aziz Ibrahim: Lahore to Longsight

matt-wynne

Gig Preview: Upclose: Manchester Camerata & Aziz Ibrahim: Lahore to Longsight

A story of his father, torn between the cultures of his home Pakistan and inner-city Manchester

Wednesday 11th October – 7.30pm @ HOME, Central Manchester

£8 Special Student Tickets

This Wednesday will see one of Manchester’s most cherished sons take to the stage at HOME. Brought up on Longsight’s Anson Estate artist Aziz Ibrahim is a master collaborator, working with diverse artists/projects such as The Stone Roses, Asia, Overload (Pakistan), Paul Weller, Mike Joyce (The Smiths) and Project 70 Asian Blues (Arts Council England) — there is a reason why he is so highly valued by the music elite.

Performing with Manchester Camerata for one night only, there will be on offer a radical orchestral interpretation of original compositions from the unreleased album Lahore to Longsight. A concept album that charts the journey of Aziz’s father from a divided India to Pakistan to inner-city Manchester and the path to self-identity and acceptance, for a son torn between vastly different cultures.

Aziz came into the Fuse FM studio last year to talk about his upbringing, career and next weeks performance will not disappoint. Ibrahim is a perfectionist, a purist, always looking for that new sound by delving and crafting music from different cultures and comes through with the goods live.

What will be achieved when he collaborates with the Bridgewater Hall’s residence orchestra reviewed as “probably Britain’s most adventurous Orchestra” (The Times) on Wednesday can only be left to one’s imagination. A splice of sound and culture is promised. See you there.

Special guests Kaviraj Singh (santoor) and Dalbir Singh Rattan (tabla). Not to be missed especially with a concession student ticket price of £8 (Full priced tickets are £15).

The project is supported by Film Hub North West Central & with Arts Council funding. Proud to be a member of the BFI Film Audience Network. There will be a pre-concert talk with Aziz and friends at 6:30pm.

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT