cameron-broome

University launches interactive tree trail

“People have a very personal relationship with the trees that they see each day” said Urban Green Managing Director as University launches tree trail

The University of Manchester has launched a new interactive Tree Trail encouraging people to learn more about trees across campus.

The trail has been designed as a web-based app which can be used on smartphones, and participants are encouraged to take their own tree photos and share their comments via Instagram; each tree has its own hashtag to make identification easier and there is a dedicated Instagram account (@UoMSust).

Led by the University’s Environmental Sustainability team, three distinct trails have been developed that highlight 50 of the 1,500 trees across Oxford Road Campus, North Campus and Whitworth Park.

Julia Durkan, University Sustainable Campus Officer at The University of Manchester said: “Trees are important for nature, the environment and our health and wellbeing but are often overlooked.

“We wanted a Tree Trail that would engage and connect with staff, students and the local community and believe the innovative use of smartphones and social media will help us appeal to a much wider audience.”

The aim of the project is to encourage students, staff and the local community to discover the “physical and mental health benefits associated with nature and the outdoors” and learn more about trees.

Working with Urban Green and City of Trees, the Tree Trail has been developed by the University’s Environmental Sustainability team as part of the University’s Living Campus Plan.

Scott Fitzgerald, Managing Director at Urban Green, said: “People have a very personal relationship with the trees that they see each day. We want people to use the Tree Trail to feel a sense of ownership — the trees on campus are ‘their trees’ and we look forward to seeing the Tree Trail grow as people share their own photography and comments.

“We hope the Tree Trail is both educational but also helps foster a deeper understanding and appreciation of some of Manchester’s many amazing trees.”

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.