nicolewootoncane

Love for the Streets: Halloween soundclash

Love for the Streets CEO believes that the event is an opportunity to “take something that previously had no social value and make it socially impactful”

Halloween revellers intend to descend on CUBO Fallowfield next weekend for a night of soundclash entertainment, all in the name of charity.

Love for the Streets: Halloween Soundclash’ will involve three different crews going up against each other, each hoping for the biggest crowd reaction. The event will have three rounds, with the headliners each having twenty minutes per round to wow the audience.

Proceeds from the event will be split, with 50 per cent going to furthering the Love for the Streets campaign and 50 per cent to homeless charities in Manchester such as Street Support and Big Change Fund. The event comes after various new initiatives from Manchester City Council and Mayor Andy Burnham to tackle homelessness in the city.

CEO and founder of Love for the Streets, Jonah Enyi Ogbuneke, hopes the night will be a big hit with students.

He told The Mancunion: “The line-up speaks for itself, with amazing crews like Off Beat, Freerange and Romping shop.’’

Jonah’s motivation for creating and organising this night comes from his commitment to dealing with the problem of homelessness in Greater Manchester.

He states that his movement, Love for the Streets, is a “creative and unique response to the issue…it’s perhaps the only initiative I’ve come across that goes out of its way to engage students in a very serious issue.’’

Love for the Streets is entirely run by student volunteers and Jonah plans on using some of the proceeds from the event to expand the idea even further, creating a campaign called “community” to go along with the events.

He said: “To me, this is one of the most exciting parts of the campaign. It’s where we get to go into a lot of depth on the issue of homelessness. We have planned conferences, art exhibitions, volunteer taster sessions and ambassador training, all centred around the issue of homelessness.”

The aim of much of this is to allow members of the public to be able to signpost the nearest services to rough sleepers when they see them.

Love for the Streets is a campaign that Ogbuneke is confident will continue to grow with the help of volunteer support.

The event, ‘Love for the Streets: Halloween Soundclash’, is at CUBO Fallowfield on Saturday the 28th of October at 10pm.

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Deputy Editor of The Mancunion

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine

Nominations for Students’ Union Awards 2024 now open

Students can nominate themselves or others for the awards, which fall into four separate categories, with each award having its own awards night

UNiDAYS announce opening of Student Woman of the Year competition

The UNiDAYS-run competition aims to support female students who are making a difference and offers a £10,000 first prize for entrepreneurial initiatives