hannah-brierley

Halloween in Manchester 2017

Your guide to October’s festivities

This time each year, the spooky in us comes out to play, and with it, an excuse to dress up and celebrate all things weirdly wonderful and slightly crazy. Whilst there’s always something fun to do in Manchester, Halloween brings a whole new array of special events to celebrate. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the spook-tacular things that are happening around the city:

Tim Burton Special @ The Bread Shed (27th October)

It can be confidently said that Tim Burton is the king of Halloween, so why not go down to The Bread Shed and pay homage to the pumpkin king himself. The night will be filled with all that is pop-punk playing the likes of My Chemical Romance, Bless The Fall, Blink 182, You Me At Six, Bring Me The Horizon, Don Broco, and Parkway Drive. Release your inner emo-teen and sing your heart out.

Photo: @Flickr Bryan Rosengrant

Stranger Things Special @ The Ruby Lounge (24th October)

Based on the incredible 80s  Netflix TV series, Stranger Things. Sound-tracked strictly by vinyl records featured in and inspired by the show.

On the night expect to hear all of the tracks from the show by The Clash, Toto, Joy Division, Foreigner, Modern English, Corey Hart, The Bangles and Jefferson Airplane — plus the likes of The Smiths, The Cure, David Bowie, New Order, Talking Heads, A Flock Of Seagulls, Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Blondie, The Undertones, The Human League, Iggy Pop, The Specials, The Jam and many more.

If dressing up like a Demogorgon or as Eleven, this is the place to go for all you fanatics.

Photos: Wiki Commons

ANTS Halloween Takeover @ Warehouse Project (28th October)
Ants follow up previous classic WHP shindigs with a Halloween takeover. Berliner Paul Kalkbrennerheadlines – and who better to provide the drama and excitement of a Halloween show than a DJ who is renowned for his live show, where his emotive techno tracks and pulled apart then restructured into entirely new forms. He’s joined by Ants stalwarts Groove Armada, whose typically crowd-pleasing performance at last year’s Ants took the roof off. For more dancefloor thrills, Eli & Fur, Jesse Rose, Route 94, wAFF and a host of others explore the full spectrum of house, from jacking bass bombs to deep, melodic disco.

Bongo Bingo Halloween Special with Fatman Scoop @Albert Hall (31st October)

A Halloween special with the bombastic hip-hop icon Fatman Scoop as the exclusive guest. It’s hard to capture the unique mix of everything that happens at Bongo’s Bingo – it’s partly a show, partly a rave, partly a dance-off, and of course an amazing night of bingo as its frantically beating heart.

It’s true that Bongo’s Bingo has to be seen to be believed — the show mixes the traditional elements of bingo with dance-offs, rave intervals, plenty of heckling, audience participation, countless hands-in-the-air anthems and of course the chance to win prizes too, from Henry Hoovers, boxes of Coco Pops and life-size cardboard cutouts, to actual cold hard reams of cash.

Definitely, something that you’ll never have experienced before.

Photo:Jack Kirwin

Motherfunkers Fright Night @ Antwerp Mansion (31st October)

If you’re looking for the most authentic Halloween, then really you need to head down to the only place in Manchester which could actually be a part of a horror film. Expect a psychedelic haunted house fused with the very best of funk, soul, disco and Motown tunes from the ’70s to today… We’re talking live music, performers, installations, visuals, disco balls, balloons, bunting, and confetti cannons.

Casa Loco @Impossible Bar (28th October)

The recently opened impossible bar are also joining in on the Halloween fun. The has a hidden gin palace that serves 63 types of gin and has a cryogenic freezer, meaning spirits can be frozen to make edible cocktails. They also have a molecular cocktail laboratory which will have an alcoholic mist condenser and a lickable Champagne bubble machine. Impossible embraces all things weird and wonderful, and their Halloween event will follow suit, and will definitely be hard to forget… depending on how much of the champagne bubble machine you have.

This is a ticket only event, so make sure you buy them before they sell out!