skye-demar

Review: Punk in Drublic – A Night of Spoken Word, Poetry & Comedy

Poetry and comedy violently clash in the name of charity

The combination of politically fuelled poetry and lighthearted stand-up comedy, Punk In Drublic, is set in the cosy Brewdog bar in Manchester City Centre. Hosted by the charismatic Rob Stevenson, this thought-provoking and hilarious show where “poetry and comedy violently clash” raises money and awareness for the Mustard Tree homelessness charity, a great cause which actively endeavours to combat poverty in Manchester.

The headline performance from established poet and performer ‘Attila the Stockbroker’ was both poignant and comical, giving his take on the shortcomings of modern society, and providing his insight on the rhetoric of current affairs, politics, and tabloids.

Although speaking about similar themes, and portraying similar messages of social equality, each performer had their own unique style, ranging from moving poetry about lost loved ones, to hilariously relatable stand-up comedy.

Manchester’s own Isaiah Hull performed a thought-provoking poem about the realities of growing up in what he calls a ‘bad place’, bringing forward the realities of some lives which most definitely need to be talked about. The diversity of both the performers and the audience is great to see; people of all ages and backgrounds, from all over the country, with a full range of experience — from a regular Glastonbury performer to the rising poets of Manchester.

The theme of charity and helping those in need was brought up many a time throughout this evening. Yet it was always pursued with a positivity, as the night of celebration was underlined with a poignant incentive — with opportunities to buy charity raffle prizes for the Mustard Tree too.

Punk in Drublic celebrates the art of spoken word in many different forms, making both poetry and comedy accessible in a positive and welcoming atmosphere. This can be enjoyed by anyone — and welcomes everyone.

40 Years of the Future: Painting abstract exhibition review

The abstract and the figurative collide in the thought-provoking first installation of Castlefield Gallery’s 40th Anniversary celebrations

We’re kicking off our new feature, Making Manchester, by quizzing photographer Anna Marsden about her practice and what inspires her