youssef-bouri

University of Manchester wins environment award

The University of Manchester has recently been awarded for two projects by a prestigious award

The Environmental Association for Universities attributed the Green Gown Award to the University of Manchester this year.

On the 15th of November the university received the award for ‘10,000 Actions’ and the ‘Sustainability Challenge’; two initiatives that are specific to the university.

The Head of Environmental Sustainability at the University of Manchester, Emma Gardener, declared that “10,000 Actions took our staff engagement on sustainability from around 3% to more than 40% over the course of the campaign. It’s great to see our impact recognised at a national level through this award.”

Following this, Professor James Thompson, the Vice-President for Social Responsibility, stated: “Three years ago we developed new social responsibility signature programmes with the ambition of reaching all students and all staff.

“It is therefore particularly pleasing to see both the Ethical Grand Challenges programme and 10,000 Actions recognised by experts outside the University as leading the way in the UK.”

During the ceremony, the University of Manchester Chancellor, Lemn Sissay, spoke: “The leadership and innovation that we have seen tonight is truly awe inspiring. If all education institutions created individuals and initiatives like these, we would have a much brighter future full of leading lights.”

This award comes after a long list of awards that the University of Manchester received for its leadership in matters of teaching and pedagogy.

Co-written by Pierre-Leo Rouat and Youssef Bouri

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

Killing consumerism: Are we headed to disposal doom?

In his keynote presentation, Professor Mark Miodownik deliberates on the perils of consumerism, how we might manage to bring it to a sustainable future, and its obsolescence

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service