kirstie-omahony

Letter from the Editor – DO NOT PUBLISH

It feels as though this semester has absolutely flown by. It seems as if I have blinked and am now writing my second letter to our readers. It’s been a fairly tumultuous semester: one that’s seen the world of student news go on quite a rollercoaster. We’ve had a spate of violence in an area […]

It feels as though this semester has absolutely flown by. It seems as if I have blinked and am now writing my second letter to our readers.

It’s been a fairly tumultuous semester: one that’s seen the world of student news go on quite a rollercoaster. We’ve had a spate of violence in an area many of us call home, we’ve seen an exhausting yet inconclusive Executive Officer referendum (although as you’ll read on this week’s front page, the matter has been decided through other means), and building works that have, among other things, caused the union to have an unbearable and unrelenting stench of faeces… it’s certainly been an interesting few months.

It has been an extremely trying semester for all students and staff at the University of Manchester, not least because of the staff redundancies and consequent strike. This has certainly been the case for an organisation that is close to my heart, the Manchester Media Group. Our team of dedicated volunteers have had to deal with one of the most stressful and momentous moves in its history. They have dealt with it admirably, and I commend each and every person within it for all their hard work and grit through what has been a very difficult period.

But now we come to the festive season, and a well deserved break for all us here at the Manchester Media Group and the rest of university as well. I hope that, as well as stuffing yourself silly, you relax and come back next semester refreshed and rearing to go, because when the union fully reopens in the new year, you’ll need your energy for all the exciting things that are to come. Watch this space!

Happy Christmas (or whatever you may celebrate) from myself and my Deputy, Tristan. We’ll see you in the New Year!

Live review: Madvillainy Reimagined

Fearing a bittersweet tribute act, ‘Madvillainy: reimagined’ instead offered a refreshing and charismatic live experience in Manchester’s Blues Kitchen.

Album Review: The Lemon Twigs – Everything Harmony

Brian and Michael D’Addario’s The Lemon Twigs release the unpredictable Everything Harmony, the fourth record for the New York band.

SeXion Introduction!

We’re launching the Mancunion’s newest section about all things sex and relationships – an inclusive space for all bodies and genders

Female Contraception: Not as attractive as it should be

Female contraception is not without its downsides. Read on to see which could be a good option for you!