amy-nguyen

There’s something about Meghan

Inside the wardrobe of the latest Royal-to-be

Hearts shattered across Great Britain as it was announced last week that the nations beloved Prince Harry had proposed to Suits actress and UN Activist, Meghan Markle, over roast chicken, can you believe it?

As an avid Suits fan, you may know Meghan as her character Rachel Zane or you may recognise her as the face of lifestyle brand and blog The Tig, or even from her various humanitarian efforts and contributions to the UN Women’s Council.

She has recently become a magnet for mass media attention following her courtship with Prince Harry which began in the summer of 2016. This spotlight will undoubtedly set Markle into the style spotlight.

Whereas Rachel Zane the eponymous paralegal in the courtroom donned some of the slinkiest pieces you could ever envision for your future work wardrobe attire, Meghan’s out of character style is simple and elegant.

Off duty, as seen at the Invictus games, she ruled in a simple crisp white shirt paired with flats and ripped jeans. On the red carpet, she has stunned in the likes of Marchesa, Alexander McQueen, and Dolce & Gabanna.

Her engagement outfit comprised of an emerald green Parosh dress (RRP£450 approx), Aquazzura courts (£550), and an Ivory Line the Label Coat.

Albeit a far cry from what our student budgets can stretch to, I predict items such as these will encourage a Markle effect emanated and rippled throughout high street designs as imitation garments are created for aspirational attire.

The best accessory adorned on this day was, of course, a custom-designed ring by Prince H himself which contained treasured diamonds from Princess Diana’s own personal collection.

As Meghan will become a royal as of Spring 2018 where she will wed Harry at Windsor Castle, the demands on her style will have to adjust accordingly. Dresses and ensembles will be likely to follow suit of Kate Middleton with more respectable lengths and necklines.

Royal etiquette will vary very much so from that of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The body language between Harry and herself is notably more informal in terms of displays of affection and this will no doubt continue throughout their royal duties as a married couple.

As with Kate, the big money question is who will be designing the dress? The notorious designs of Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen for both Kate and Pippa will no doubt go down in fashion history.

The eager anticipation and speculation as to who will be bestowed this designing honour is always hotly contested and money currently stands on the likes of Erdem, Roland Mouret and Ellie Saab.

You can investigate the odds on Betway in further detail. I’m to a degree shocked you are able to do so but make no dispute here, there is a lot in the fashion stakes!

On the note of fashion attire, I am very much looking forward to seeing how Meghan’s membership into the Royal Household affects her wardrobe game.

On a life note, I’m truly thrilled for Prince Harry and Meghan and hope they have a magical fairytale ending that is undeniably deserved.

Make-up Soc’s guide to Winter glam

Check out the President of Makeup Society’s guide to winter glam makeup for the holiday season this year

In the Beauty Bag #11: Union Affairs Officer Sam Bronheim

Recent graduate and SU representative Sam Bronheim shares her beauty journey, tips she learnt from her mom and makeup bargains

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway

Beauty advent calendars: The best of this year

Whether you are a makeup head, skincare junkie or self-care queen, have fun counting down to Christmas with these advent calendars. Here are The  Mancuion’s beauty team suggestions