Manchester Forecast

Latest News:
Manchester Mancunion Logo

// Breaking News:

UoM suspend all face-to-face teaching and close libraries today

//Breaking: UoM suspend all face-to-face teaching and close libraries today More

// Live News:

Coronavirus: UoM expected to use Week 8 as transition week towards online teaching

//Live: Coronavirus: UoM expected to use Week 8 as transition week towards online teaching More

Photo: StockSnap @ Pixabay

Top 5: Albums of the Year

Wolf Alice — Visions Of A Life

Wolf Alice made their triumphant return this September with the ferocious Visions Of A Life. Everything on this album is bigger and better than its predecessor and sees the band really beginning to explore a wider soundscape. From the punky ‘Yuk Foo’ to the dreamy ‘Heavenward’, Wolf Alice deliver one sharp bite with this one.

Lil Peep — Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt.1

Released just months before his untimely death, Lil Peep’s compelling blend of hip-hop and emo rap on Come Over… marked his transition from SoundCloud to the mainstream. With lyrics focusing on mental health, substance abuse, and ill-fated relationships, Peep’s sound garnered a frenzied following and left behind a lasting and emotional legacy few will be able to fill.

Lorde — Melodrama 

The 21 year old New Zealander departs from the teenage angst of her debut and gifts us with a glorious sophomore concept album depicting the highs and lows of emerging adulthood, wrapped up within the chaos of a house party. It’s another deeply personal, genre-spanning album covering everything from heartbreak to living with reckless abandon.

Sundara Karma — Youth is Only Ever Fun in Retrospect

Reading indie four-piece released their highly anticipated debut album back in January. Filled to the brim with fan favourites and future arena anthems, the album was a brilliant way to shake the winter blues. Lead singer Oscar Pollock’s hauntingly powerful voice rises above the ruckus, making Sundara Karma sound as soothing as they are energising.

The xx — I See You 

The xx are a band that have been evolving ever since their appearance way back in 2009, and third album I See You is another step up for the trio. The combination of Jamie xx’s solo project repertoire of electronic dance beats with The xx’s typical shoegaze pays off extremely well. A flawless combination of the old and the new.

Tags: Albums of The Year, lorde, Music, the xx, Top 5, wolf alice