• B12: The vitamin we should ALL be talking about

daisy-tolcher

B12: The vitamin we should ALL be talking about

What is B12 and where can you find it?
Photo: Wikimedia Commons

As students we are all used to those long days where we feel so run down that even coffee has little effect in improving our energy levels. Well what if I told you that there is an essential vitamin which can be found in our food and in supplements which can put an end to just this. B12 is this vitamin and it benefits us in three key ways — with our energy levels, our stress levels and our digestion.

In regards to energy, B12 helps with your bodies production of red blood cells which carry oxygen around our bodies. If our organs do not receive this oxygen then they will slow down and you will end up feeling run down and fatigued. Therefore, increased levels of B12 can help you feeling spritely and energised, what every student needs! Our digestion systems are also key areas where energy is produced. B12 metabolises fats, proteins and carbohydrates into energy which also results in vital nutrients being absorbed by the body. With regards to our stress levels, B12 is essential in the proper development and functioning of the brain. Therefore, good levels of B12 can contribute to a healthy mind which in turn can reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.

I am sure you are now wondering where you can find this magical remedy. Well, our bodies do not naturally make B12 which means you have to find it in your food or in supplements. Beef, pork, cheese, milk and fish are all good sources of B12 which is good news for meat and dairy eaters, but bad news for vegans and vegetarians. If you are someone who is excluding these food groups then it is essential that you use supplements to make sure your B12 levels remain intact. Furthermore, a deficiency in B12 can cause a condition called anaemia which can leave you feeling fatigued and faint.

Photo: CCO Public Domain
Photo: CCO Public Domain

Given all of this, we should all definitely be talking about this wonderful vitamin and its wonderful effects! You may not have known it before now, but it can be found in many of the foods we eat, and can alleviate some of the most common ‘student illnesses’, like tiredness and stress. Something to bear in mind as deadlines loom…

Jeremy Corbyn speaks to students at the Right to Clothing Campaign launch

Jeremy Corbyn announces the Right to Clothing Campaign at The University of Manchester, in a bid to make clothing more sustainable and affordable.
Queen Elizabeth II obituary

Queen Elizabeth II obituary

Queen Elizabeth II opened the University of Manchester in 2004. Following her death, we look back at her life and impact on the city of Manchester
UoM PHD student faces backlash over research paper on masturbating to comics of young boys

A PHD student at the University of Manchester has recently come under fire and faced a severe online backlash after a research paper he wrote about masturbating to erotic comics of young boys went viral.