sam-cooper

University football suffers double elimination

Both the men’s and women’s first exited their respective cups
Photo: Sam Cooper @ TheMancunion

There will be no cup glory this season for either of the University of Manchester’s football first teams, as both suffered defeats and subsequent eliminations this week. Both the men and the women lost 2-1 at home on the 14th of February and will not be taking any further part in this year’s competition.

The men, competing in the BUCS Football 2017-2018 Trophy, faced a visit from Scottish side Strathclyde in the round of 16. The team from the North have been struggling in their respective league and find themselves at the bottom, but they will be buoyed by this recent cup victory.

The women meanwhile faced Edge Hill, a team from the division below them, in the quarter final stage of the BUCS Football 2017-2018 Northern Conference Cup. Despite being a league above, UoM women could not secure the victory, and also exited via a 2-1 defeat.

The elimination from the cup competitions means all attention now turns to the league. The women sit in fifth place in the Northern 2A league and need positive results from their final two games of the season if they are to avoid the bottom. The men are around mid-table in fourth but will be hoping to finish as high as possible. The final game of the season away at Leeds Beckett could prove crucial.

Victory for MMU as Varsity returns for 2024

It was a day to remember for Manchester Metropolitan as they finished their season on a high, ousting the University of Manchester 20-38 in a thrilling comeback for The Manchester Varsity Series.  At last, Varsity returned to a ticketed event, sold-out by both universities. As kick off approached, supporters were primed and ready to enjoy […]

FA Cup Semi Final: “Who is everyone talking about now? Certainly not the team that won.”

During a nail-biting and controversial match again Manchester Utd, the hopes of Coventry fans reached cloud 9