sampigott

Recipe: Lamb Methi

While it might take a bit of time, this curry is well worth the effort. Leave in the oven whilst you enjoy the snow and you’ll come home to the perfect warming treat
Recipe: Lamb Methi

Lamb Methi

Ingredients

·         1 large onion, sliced

·         1 green chilli finely diced

·         2cm3 piece of fresh ginger finely diced or grated

·         10 tomatoes

·         4 cardamom pods crushed

·         2 cinnamon sticks

·         4 bay leaves

·         2 curry leaves

·         500g cubes of lamb shoulder

·         1 tsp each of chilli powder, garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander and turmeric

·         1 tbsp runny honey

·         2 tsp tomato puree

·         1 whole bag fresh spinach sliced

·         30g butter

·         5 tbsp ground fenugreek

·         Salt and pepper

·         50ml single cream

Method

1.       Begin by preheating an oven to 120C. This might sound low, but the lamb needs to be cooked long and slow to ensure it is soft.

2.       To an ovenproof dish, in which the oil has been preheated over a medium heat on the hob, add the onion, chilli, ginger, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, and the bay and curry leaves. Fry these over a medium heat until the onion begins to turn translucent.

3.       Now add the tomatoes, roughly chopped, and leave to cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes have begun to break down.

4.       Increase the heat to high and add half the butter. Once the butter is foaming add the lamb and seal on all sides. This will take approximately 5 minutes but ensure the temperature is high the entire time.

5.       Once the meat is coloured reduce the heat back down to a medium heat and add the ground spices, honey, tomato puree, and the spinach, and cook for a further 5 minutes.

6.       Add half the ground fenugreek and then add approximately 500ml of water, or enough to cover the meat completely. Cover the pan with a lid, or use foil if this isn’t possible, and increase the heat until the mixture is boiling. Once boiling place the dish in the oven and cook for 3 hours, checking that the mixture does not dry out and adding water should this happen.

7.       After 3 hours the meat should be tender, and the curry is ready to finish off on the hob. Take the pan back out of the oven and place on a medium heat on the hob. Add the remaining fenugreek along with the remaining butter and the cream. Season with salt and pepper and then simply cook the curry until the desired consistency has been reached. It will be very wet when it goes in the oven but simply simmer away on the hob if this is still the case when it comes out.

8.       Serve with rice.

TikTok and Teatox: Why social media is sucking the joy out of food

From ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos to fad diet trends, social media’s rampant championing of toxic diet culture needs to stop

Margarita Month at Zouk: All style, less substance

Zouk is offering a trio of Margaritas this February to celebrate Margarita Month; yet it seems like all the thought was put into presentation, and less into the drink itself

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes

The concept of small plate dining

Tapas, dim sum, chaat, meze, banchan and more!