amy-nguyen

Editors’ farewell – style notes

Deputy Fashion & Beauty Editor Amy Nguyen says goodbye in the way she knows best — through her fantastic sense of style
Editors’ farewell – style notes
Photo: Amy Nguyen

How would you describe your own personal style?

Although hard to pin point in a single sentence, I would summarise my own dress code as quite classic chic, with a slight edge and twist, whether that be in shoe choice or materials.

For example, my staple go to pieces are usually boucle skirts in bright and bold colours and I love to pair these with colour popping boots and flats.  Last year I purchased a velvet pink pair of flats which are like slippers which I always receive compliments on (surprisingly from Next) and also a more outlandish pair of red studded boots from Topshop.

I am a huge leather disciple and admittedly have about ten of the same style leather skirts in all colours of the rainbow to suit any mood.

On the flipside, I never underestimate the all-important power of black, whether it’s a baggy dress, oversized knit, or beautiful black leather trousers. I definitely favour timeless pieces and am less attracted to logos on items, I still wear clothes I bought in sixth form (I’m 24 now). I’ve recently been inspired by my semester abroad in Milan where the students look immaculate and rock up in flares and high boots, they are incredibly effortlessly stylish and I aim to integrate this into my future purchases.

Who is your biggest style and fashion icon and why?

Olivia Palermo. An Audrey Hephurn-esque beauty, she originally was cast into the spotlight as a New York Socialist who featured on a few episodes of a spinoff from The Hills.

In all the years I have followed her, close to a decade, I’ve never seen a photograph of a bad outfit. She manages to pair unexpected patterns and textures of fabrics, for instance leopard with emerald feathers in a totally classy and elegant way. She often mixes high street with designer labels and has been the root cause of many a sold out item in Zara. Olivia adorns her outfits with fabulous large sunglasses and the most beautiful clutches.

Needless to say I would sell my own brother for her wardrobe contents.

What are your favourite luxury and high-street brands?

& Other Stories never fails to make my bank balance cry! The dresses are perfect for the day time and can easily be turned into evening attire with a quick change of earring and shoe. Their patterns and garments differ from Topshop and other more commonly turned to brands, as they are no means tacky and represent a welcome change on the high street.

I also love Cos for classic pieces like white shirts and they have really cute bikinis. Uniqlo is underrated and has saved my skin from Manchester and Northern climates; their heat tech is undeniably good quality for a disproportionately small price. Zara was ruined for me by a business project and research into their supply chain so I try not to shop there anymore.

On the luxury scale of things, I’m a huge fan of The Row (aspirational looking only) by Mary Kate and Ashely, and Tom Ford as it oozes sophistication. French iconic brand Chanel is a given, as well as contemporary minimalist Isabel Marant for elegant chic. Aquazurra is my dream shoe retailer of choice; Meghan Markle wore a pair for her engagement announcement to prince Haz and they are playful yet classic.

What are the beauty essentials you cannot live without?

I spent two years working for a luxury beauty company, so beauty has become almost a religion as well as a science. I’m an authoritarian when it comes to my skincare routine and follow a strict ritual of cleansing, using a serum, oil and then moisturiser. Eye cream is a given if its revision season! I like using organic vegan brands like Tata Harper, Sunday Riley and REN and SPF is an added bonus. A flawless skincare regime acts as the worlds best primer.

Make up wise, I prefer a look that has a natural glow as opposed to caked on TOWIE esque.

I’m extremely into vegan beauty. Hourglass do the most amazing mineral veil primer and hourglass vanish foundation stick. Although they are more on the high end price spectrum, they really are worth it. The best cult highlighter is the BECCA Champagne Pop and lasts a true lifetime.

I own about 58000 shades of lipstick, some my mother would argue are the same colour but they are not. Daytime requires a nice pinkey nude from Laura Mercier called Desert Rose and night time calls for dark reds from Kevyn Aucoin, the creator of contour, who has a fabulous Blood Roses collection.

Rimmel eyebrow and kohl liners are fool proof at a great price and allow you to save your money for the good stuff! As for mascara, I use Eyeko which is cruelty free and has caffeine in to perk your lashes up!

For bath and showering I’ve found SuperDrug do an incredible vegan salted caramel bubble bath, which sounds more like a desert than a toiletry, but I  couldn’t recommend it more!

Which fashion trend would you like to see burn and die?

All as a matter of opinion and whilst I appreciate the renaissance of classic items, these three items belong in their grave.

The bum bag — truly atrocious accessory, revived by Bella and Kendall who wear them around their chests as what I would describe as ‘skater chic’.  Gucci can’t even make a bum bag look good, they must die.

Big trainers. I’m looking at you, Balenciaga and Nike. BURN THEM.

I’ve also been hugely disappointed in recent times to witness crocs on the runway! Featured by Balenciaga and Christopher Kane, it’s just– not normal.

If you could be transported in time to one fashion era, when would it be and why?

The 1920’s holds ultimate appeal in terms of glamour, when we think of Gatsby, sequins, feathers, bold statement beauty looks and of course the flapper dress.

That being said, the 1960’s makes all other eras obsolete.  The swinging 60’s in London which was a pivotal city in the urban fashion revolution brought us the PVC, leather, miniskirts, A line tunic dresses and bold eye-popping colours.

Zendaya and the art of theme dressing

Are Zendaya and stylist Law Roach the fashion worlds answer to Lennon and McCartney?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse