olivia-white

Album review: Gengahr – Where Wildness Grows

Gengahr return from their three year hiatus to present their bolder, more complex and undoubtedly self-defining second album

London-born spell-binding indie rock quartet Gengahr has finally released their second album Where Wildness Grows following their debut album released three years ago. Upon first listen it is clear the band have strayed further away from their previous moody, melancholic, and angsty ways to a brighter, for the most part, more upbeat album. However, they have very much remained true to their roots of ensuring each of their songs is rooted in nifty and intricate guitar licks.

‘Before Sunrise’ perfectly opens Where Wildness Grows given its catchy, almost hypnotic guitar riff which repeatedly glimmers throughout the track, proving to be a statement song for the remainder of the album given its showcasing of all the complexities that are yet to be unfolded as you progress through the 12-tracks.

Where Wildness Grows will undoubtedly become the soundtrack to many of their fan’s upcoming summers due to the youthful, dream-like haziness that the quartet has concocted. Gengahr has demonstrated that a central aspect of their new album was to illustrate that they are capable of presenting diversity. Even though I agree that the album, A Dream Outside featured songs that sounded similar to each other, I didn’t necessarily think it was a bad thing, however, Where Wildness Grows strives for a level beyond their first album. In Where Wildness Grows you plummet into a blanket of warmth and comfort, intricately laced with even more complex dream-pop synths and licks.

The partnership between John Victor’s melting guitar lines and Felix Bushes’ distinctly eerie vocals has really blossomed in their second album, allowing the album’s leading singles ‘Carrion’ and ‘Mallory’ to fully bloom into tracks which are perfect exhibitions on what you can expect throughout the album’s entirety.  It is very apparent that their second album is a truer reflection of what Gengahr wish to present to their listeners, one that combines a greater range of musical styles and chord progressions to create a more mature and accomplished final product.

The album’s last song ‘Whole Again’ is a heartfelt, atmospheric and slightly heavier track amongst its counterparts which serves as the perfect closure for ‘Where Wildness Grows’. Despite possessing lyrics perhaps resonating the previous tour struggles that the band have endured, ‘Whole Again’ also displays a strong sense of cementation. Given what Gengahr have proven, most importantly to themselves with this second album, this final track instils a final confidence in its listener that Gengahr is back and are here to stay.

8/10

Live Review: Lea Salonga at Bridgewater Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Lea Salonga’s Dream Again Tour at the Bridgewater Hall
Live Review: Peaches brings her Teaches to Manchester

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor reviews Peaches’ stop at the O2 Ritz on her Teaches of Peaches 20th anniversary tour.
Live Review: Horsegirl at YES Manchester

Kevin Thomas reviews Horsegirl’s enthralling show at YES Manchester
Saint Etienne Live Review: Back with a splash

Izzy Langhamer reviews the latest ‘Saint Etienne’ gig, which saw them perform latest releases from ‘I’ve Been Trying To Tell You’, as well as fan favourites and 90s hits