hannah-brierley
17th June 2018

Live review: Pangaea, Manchester Students’ Union

Pangaea Festival comes back after a lengthy wait and really brings it home
Pangaea 2018

As the end of exams slowly rolled on, as did the long-awaited return for Pangaea, the ‘Manchester’ Edition.

With a pretty impressive lineup of A Guy Called Gerald, Craig Charles Funk and Soul Club, Anz, and Amy Becker, the northern themed night stuck to its heritage. On cue, rolled in the Liam and Noels, as well as plenty of Magic Bus fancy dress outfits.

This event was celebrating its 10th year, but long-gone are the days when Pangaea flowed from the Student Union to Academy One and everything in between, with smaller rooms all decorated and accounted for with different music in each. Yet, the seemingly ever-shrinking festival, now confined only just to the SU building, still managed to successfully work with what it had.

The upper floor was tastefully decorated with clouds and umbrellas to remind us of Manchester’s glorious climate. But the rain-themed decor did not dampen any mood, with honey bee and honeycombs as far as the eye could see.

Craig Charles & Funk Soul  really brought what it said on the tin: Funk and Soul. Hypnotic rhythms and funky vibes heightened the moods and spirits of everyone.

A Guy Called Gerald similarly blew everyone away. Gerald Simpson, deemed one of the “masterminds of electronic music”, showed his northern roots. As one of the original members of Manchester’s 1990s 808 state, he skillfully and successfully showed the crowd why he is such a master of his art, with his huge anthems such as ‘Voodoo Ray’ showering the crowd with a sense of nostalgia.

Pangaea was full of excitment around every corner, much like the the place we call home. Hats off to all that were involved, you did a cracking job. What a send off!

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark