hannah-brierley
21st June 2018

Preview: Isle of Wight Festival reaches its 50th year

Isle of Wight Festival celebrates its 50th Birthday this year!
Callum Baker

The mighty Isle of Wight Festival is back once again, but this time, it is celebrating a very special birthday indeed. 2018 represents the festivals 50th anniversary of its birth, despite being shut down temporarily from 1970-2002 due to it being banned by Parliment.

Back in its early days, the festival saw the likes of  Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Who, and Bob Dylan. Upon its revival in 2002, it has seen major performances from The Charlatans, Stereophonics, Fleetwood Mac, Biffy Clyro, Florence and The Machine… you get my point. The list is endless and filled with extraorindary talent.

And this year is absolutely no exception to this trend. There’s no easing in whatsoever, with the festival kicking off with one of the biggest bands around right now, Kasabian. As if this wasn’t enough, and you wanted to indulge in some nostalgia, the almighty Nile Rodgers and CHIC will be performing to bring you those ‘Good Times’ and make ‘Everybody Dance’ — see what I did there. Other acts on Friday appearing are Chase and Status, Feeder, and Tom Grennan.

By Saturday, the festival is well underway and in full swing, and the northerners are making their appearances in this lineup. Headlining is ‘our kid’ himself, Liam Gallagher. Following the Manc music theme, Blossoms is also performing on the main stage, which following from their last album will be an incredible lineup.

Balancing out the books a bit the mighty Depeche Mode will also be co-headlining. With over 50 songs in the UK top 50, and 17 top 10 albums in the charts, they have a broad range of tracks to perform. Again, this is another act I am thoroughly looking forward to.

Finally, on Sunday, the lineup is, once again, not one to be missed — no matter the size of the hangover. The Killers, Manic Street Preachers, and even the American beauty herself, Camila Cabello are all performing at this year’s Isle of Wight Festival.

While I could list out all of the acts which are going to be amazing, you can just look at the lineup poster for that. Just know that there is truly something for everyone at this years Isle of Wight.

The festival itself seems to be one that is consistently evolving, building upon its heritage, but still keeping it fresh, fun, and new. I am truly excited to be a part of this years celebration, especially due to its golden jubilee. 2018’s event will be bigger and better than ever.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford