miagair

Stagecoach take over 147 bus

With Stagecoach taking over the 147 service, students will be able to travel from West Didsbury to North Campus directly for the first time
Stagecoach take over 147 bus
Image: Divy @ Commons Wikimedia

Stagecoach have taken over the running of the free 147 bus services connecting North Campus to the main University site.

With the existing contract funded by Oxford Road Corridor Partners expiring in August this year, Stagecoach have decided to expand its Manchester empire. From September onwards, Stagecoach will run the existing free service from Sackville Street to outside the Students’ Union Building on the main campus. This means that students will be able to travel directly from Fallowfield to North Campus for the first time using public transport.

Stagecoach will also extend the service from Piccadilly Gardens to West Didsbury. Students and staff will still be able to use the inter-campus section for free with a valid ID card. However, the new stops will have a charge like other Stagecoach Magic Bus services, similarly costing £1.50 for a single journey. Passengers will also be able to continue using uniriders on this service.

This does however raise questions about the new services, such as how bus drivers will be able to keep track of passengers who stay on longer than the campus-campus link, but do not pay for their additional stops.

The service will start earlier at 5:31am, and the last bus to leave West Didsbury will be 8:04pm – operating every 15 minutes during this time frame.

Was there life on Mars?

New data provides further evidence for liquid water on Mars. Maybe we aren’t alone in the Solar System after all?