• New Brunswick Park opened by Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell

ethan-davies

New Brunswick Park opened by Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell

Professor Dame Rothwell hoped the park would act as a good link between the university and the local residents of Ardwick, as well as improve student well-being through increasing green space on campus
Photo: Andrew Brookes/University of Manchester.

The campus’ newest park, Brunswick Park, was opened by President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Manchester, Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, in an official ceremony today.

Located just off Oxford Road opposite the Whitworth Hall, Brunswick Park is the largest green space on campus and includes seating areas, trees, wildflower planting, and pedestrian and cycle paths. The parkland was created on the site of the former Brunswick Street, and took 16 months to transform.

The ceremony saw Professor Dame Rothwell perform her customary tree planting, followed by live jazz performances, a choir and a range of free health and well-being taster sessions, including Tai Chi, yoga, street dance, yogalates, Zumba, hoops and cardio-blast.

Professor Dame Rothwell said she hoped to see “many students” at the park, and to view the park “as a gateway to the university”. Continuing, the Vice-Chancellor outlined that “student well-being is really at the heart of [the university’s] aims and there’s nothing better than relaxing in nice weather in green space”.

Additionally, a major donor for the park was 1960 University of Manchester economics graduate who, according to Professor Dame Rothwell, “wanted to do something for student well-being, so he loved the idea of this park, so he contributed to it”.

The President also commented that she believed the park could act as a link between the university and the locals of Ardwick and Brunswick, by allowing locals to “get them closer to being able to see what they could do at the university, the museum is open to all of them, we have lots of public events, the big hope is that local communities will see this as their university”.

Diana Hampson, Director of Estates and Facilities, said: “Brunswick Park is a fantastic new asset, creating a heart of the campus for everyone to enjoy. We were proud to welcome staff and members of the local community to this event to celebrate our new green space and public realm”.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.