david-uncle

Divinity: Original Sin 2 hits console

One of the best games of 2017 makes its console debut
Divinity: Original Sin 2 hits console
photo:SteamXO@Flickr

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a sprawling tactical isometric RPG from Larian Studios that was released on PC in 2017. It’s a great game, perhaps almost perfect, and was my game of the year.

Since August 31st, console players have been able to get their hands on the ‘Definitive Edition’ of this excellent title, and it’s worth a shot. As a big fan of more modern RPGs such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and the Mass Effect trilogy, I was sceptical going into an isometric RPG, but it paid off.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 took me over 100 hours to complete my first full playthrough, side quests included, and is a deep, satisfying and surprisingly witty experience that I’d recommend to any RPG fan. Unlike most RPGs of its kind, Divinity: Original Sin 2 permits co-op in either 2-player splitscreen or up to 4-player online.

The Definitive Edition makes some serious changes to the final act of the game as well as a large array of minor tweaks. First and foremost, over 150,000 words of voiced dialogue have been rewritten or produced from scratch, bringing closure to some of the weaker and less satisfying story elements of the final act of the game, which was one of its few flaws. In addition, there have been slight balancing changes to make some fights easier and some tougher, with some nerfs to certain character builds that proved to be too powerful

The best change in the Definitive Edition is the addition of a new side character, Sir Lora, the Squirrel Knight. He rides his gallant steed, an undead cat, and seeks to prevent an apocalypse. I don’t want to spoil his story, but he’s another interesting yet unexpectedly funny example of Larian’s story building.

For PC players, the Definitive Edition has been released as a free update to existing owners of the game, making another playthrough worthwhile. This goes to show Larian’s customer-focused business model, seeking to treat their fans with courtesy instead of making them buy the game twice like some other developers do with remastered versions of their games (we’re looking at you, Bethesda).

So, uh, who exactly is the Borderlands film for?

Look, we all know that video game adaptations have had a rough history, but nobody really wanted this, right?

Celebrities just can’t rescue bad games

The failure of the Alone in the Dark remake proves that star power isn’t necessarily enough to resuscitate an already-dead game

Are we finally in the age of the video game ‘auteur’?

Originally a term created to apply to the film industry, the games industry has finally developed far enough to the point where we have multiple well-recognisable auteur figures in the mainstream – but is that all?

Killer obsession: Ranking the Dead by Daylight killers by dateability

Spending Valentine’s Day alone? Why not let yourself be wooed by Behaviour Interactive’s most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes, splattered affectingly in the blood of their victims?