miagair1

Engineering graduates’ salaries revealed to be almost double the salaries of Arts graduates

Engineering graduates in the UK can expect a salary of £45k on graduating
Photo: University of Manchester.

The Office of National Statistics recently released new data showing how much the average graduate of certain degrees can expect to earn when they have left University.

The new statistics show that those who study degrees within the field of Engineering can expect to earn an average of nearly £45k on graduating. Compare this to those in the Arts, Media, Linguistics, and Classics who are expected to earn £25k on average.

These figures have reignited the debate over tuition fees. Some question whether it is fair that all students pay the same, despite having such different financial prospects on leaving University. Others argue that those who earn more will pay more in income tax and student loan repayments, thus contributing more towards University funding.

The average salary a new graduate can expect is £31,642. This reaffirms that for the average graduate, earnings remain considerably higher than they would have been had they not gone to University. Despite this average, this may not be true for all Universities.

Interestingly, out of the top five earning degree areas, only two are now dominated nationally by male students. This shows a change in the trend of male majorities occupying all of the top-earning degrees and industries. However, it remains true that all but one of the five lowest earning degree areas are dominated by women. Whilst the average earnings are indeed increasing year on year, these differences within the statistic are significant.

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine