• Welcome back to Manchester: autumn 2018’s newest bars and restaurants

eleanor-mclaughlin

Welcome back to Manchester: autumn 2018’s newest bars and restaurants

The newest venues to wine and dine
Photo: stokpic @pexels

This summer has seen a whole host of new food and drink delights pop up across Manchester. Here are the best new openings you might have missed over the summer months:

Noi Quattro – Northern Quarter 

Noi Quattro is the newest addition to Manchesters impressive line up of Neapolitan-style Pizzarias. Translating to ‘The four of us,’ it is run by four Italians, with the aim of delivering authentic, Neapolitan pizza. The menu features traditional pizzas as well as several vegetarian and vegan options, calzoncello (deep fried calzone), scugnizzielli (bites of fried dough) and cuoppo – a paper cone filled with fried italian delicacies.

YES – Charles Street

Four-storey venue YES seems to have everything: dingy basement club, an entirely pink 250-person live music venue, rooftop terrace bar and street-food kitchen. The club will host free nights every Friday and Saturday, along with regular band performances and DJ nights. Former Hatch residence Firebird Hope will be serving fried chicken as well as pizzas by the slice from in-house pizzeria Pepperoni Playboy.

Folk & Soul – Northern Quarter

Vegan restaurant, bar and live music venue Folk & Soul opened in May in the site previously housing Odd Bar in the Northern Quarter. They have a small menu of main dishes and tapas-style sharers and a range of wine and beers.

Viet Shack – Ancoats

Arndale Market street-food favourite Viet Shack have opened a new restaurant and bar location in Ancoats. With a diverse menu of Vietnamese meat and fish dishes along with vegan and gluten-free options, Viet Shack also serves Vietnamese beers and a range of asian-inspired cocktails.

Boho Utopia – Withington  

Not strictly new, Boho Utopia was founded in 2016, but this year the café had a menu revamp with an array of affordable, 100% vegan brunch bites, comfort eats and freakshakes. Mac ‘n cheez, beer-battered garlic shrooms and quesadillas are just some of the things on offer, along with freshly baked cakes. They also host yoga, mindfullness and meditation sessions.

Sugo Pasta Kitchen – Ancoats

Altrincham based Italian restaurant Sugo Pasta Kitchen opened a second site in Ancoats this June, offering traditional, authentic Italian pasta dishes.

Hatch – Oxford Road

Oxford Road pop-up venue Hatch has a fresh line up of street food vendors:

Food.Me is vegan friendly, local, and healthy wraps, curries, smoothies and juices.

Mama Z offers home-cooked fillipino food catering for meat-lovers and vegans alike.

T’Arricrii are Sicilian street-food vendors specialising in Arancini, offering meat, fish and veggie options.

Woks Cluckin’ serve tasty pan-asian street food.

The Jane Eyre – Ancoats

Ancoats new ‘Neighbourhood Bar’ serves an array of cocktails, beers and wines, as well brunch, toasties and small plates.

The Shack – West Didsbury  

A new bar in West Didsbury, offering cocktails, tacos, loaded fries and a great brunch, as well as hosting regular live music nights.

Hispi – Didsbury

Part of the chain of restaurants including Chester’s The Sticky Walnut, The Burnt Truffle in the Wirral, and Liverpool’s Wreckfish, the North West brand has opened a new restaurant in Didsbury offering high end British food in a relaxed but contemporary setting.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.