mauritsbekkers

University of Manchester climbs 27 places in rankings of world’s most innovative university

The University of Manchester has placed 53rd in Reuters’ list of the world’s most innovative universities, surging 27 places on last year.
Photo: Charlotte61404 @ Wikimedia Commons

The University of Manchester has surged 27 places on Reuters’ list of the 100 most innovative Universities, becoming the 53rd most innovative university in the world.

The university was the biggest climber on the news agency company’s annual list, whilst for the fourth consecutive year Stanford University (US) has been given first place.

Jumping from 80th to 53rd place, the University of Manchester’s climb of 27 places in Reuters’ rankings is mainly due to the new studies conducted at the university on the supermaterial graphene. Graphene is one of the strongest materials on this planet, and was first produced in 2004 by Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov, two University of Manchester scientists.

Since then, the University of Manchester has had the upper hand in the world’s research for this new material. In 2010, both scientists received the Nobel Prize in Physics for “groundbreaking experiments regarding the two-dimensional material graphene.

In total, the United Kingdom has five universities on the list, while the United States has 46. The second most innovative university-containing countries are Germany and Japan with nine each.

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society