julietteflach

Journeys Live: World Music

Juliette Flach reviews the ‘Journeys Live’ World Music event which took place in Manchester’s Cathedral Gardens, reflecting on the positive messages of displayed in the face of hatred and division.
Journeys Live: World Music
Photo: Juliette Flach

On Saturday 13th October, a wonderful festival of art and culture from around the world took over Cathedral Gardens. The area was packed with people of all ages and nationalities, coming together to eat, drink, laugh, and listen together — it felt like a true celebration of rich diversity.

The news bombards us with constant updates of atrocities occurring around the world, often relating to societal division and hatred. This ‘Journeys Live’ event was a great opportunity to acknowledge the challenges that mankind is facing, and instead of letting them divide us, rather we can come together.

This was a joyous occasion, allowing people to unite through food, art, music, and dancing. People were brought together by the power of unity, to celebrate the diversity of cultures on display at the World Music event. The event gave a platform to a vast variety of genres and cultures, with groups such as the Amani Collective and the Manchester International Roots Orchestra (MIRO) bringing performances of African Jazz to ‘cultural fusion rap’ to an enthusiastic crowd.

This event provided a stark contrast to the discriminations, prejudices, and hate that can be found scattered across the globe. The messages of determination to maintain positivity and unity, despite the hardships of the world, were evident in the song lyrics of the musicians, the smiles of the chefs, the pencil marks of the artists, and the words of passion spoken by the charity volunteers.

I left having not only experienced an enjoyable day in the sun but also with a renewed determination that if we come together, we can make the world a better place!

Surf Cerrito print workshop review: a mini artistic outlet

Miss getting your hands dirty? Explore the artistic opportunities Manchester has to offer, starting off with MMU Surf x Surf Cerrito print workshop. A print workshop, sale and social all in one.

In conversation with Jo Lathwood: Art manifestos, the conflicts of making, and the next realm

The Mancunion chats with installation artist Jo Lathwood, about her new exhibition Making Up, a thought-provoking piece exploring journeys, materials and the environment at Salford Quay’s The Lowry

Indelicate 4.0: Are sex and art mutually exclusive?

The Mancunion explores the magical world of West Art Collective’s fetish and sex-positive art exhibition, Indelicate 4.0. The naughtiest night in Manchester celebrates all things pleasure, desire and sex through art, risqué performances, and workshops

Across the Channel: Impressionism in Manchester

To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the French Impressionist movement, The Mancunion delves into Manchester’s connections with the movement.