• Sport
  • Simone Biles wins record 14th world title at World Gymnastics Championships

james-gill

Simone Biles wins record 14th world title at World Gymnastics Championships

The American took her fourth gold of the Championships in the individual floor exercise in Doha, Qatar
Credit: Wikimedia Commons @Fernando Frazão

American gymnast Simone Biles has won a record 14th world title as she took gold in the individual floor exercise at the World Gymnastics Championships in Doha.

That gold was her fourth of the competition and her sixth medal overall. She became the first gymnast in three decades to win a medal in every attempt in which she participated. The six-medal haul in Qatar puts her level with legendary Russian gymnast Svetlana Khorkina but with Biles aged just 21, meaning it’s very likely that she will become the most decorated women in a World Championship Gymnastics history.

The Championships were her first competitive gymnastics in 18 months and if her achievements weren’t incredible enough, she was also suffering from a kidney stone during her events.

Despite her great success, Biles was frustrated at the reactions her performances garnered on social media. After succumbing to Lui Tingting on the balance beam, taking a bronze medal, she wrote on Twitter: “just saying, I get to decide when I have a disappointing performance. Not y’all. Over a year out of the sport. Barely a year back in and my first big competition. I’m proud of myself!”

She later added: “It is upsetting for me when I see tweets after my performances of how disappointed people are of me, because they can’t set the expectations – that is down to me.”

Who will win the World Cup? The Mancunion Predicts

Will Ronaldo or Messi win the world’s greatest trophy in their fifth and final attempt? Or will England finally end 56 years of hurt?
Blood on their Chests: Holding the FIFA World Cup in Qatar to Account

An insight into the backlash created by the human rights violations associated with Qatar’s FIFA World Cup, and how Denmark has fought to ensure that amongst the football, this record is not forgotten
Movember at UoM

Movember at UoM

A look at how UOM sport is getting involved in this years Movember and how students can donate!
Manchester Student Fight Night – All you need to know!

One of the most atmospheric student nights of the year, Manchester Student Fight Night is coming to the AO Arena on November 24