joshsandiford

UoM contestant becomes unlikely star of University Challenge

The University of Manchester is through to the quarter-final of the BBC’s University Challenge after defeating Hertford College Oxford in the final 16
Photo: Dan Brickley @Flickr.

The University of Manchester is through to the quarter-final of the BBC’s University Challenge after defeating Hertford College, Oxford in the final 16.

The showdown also led to one of UoM’s contestants becoming a social media star.

Joe Hanson, who is studying for a PhD in data-intensive science, was noticed by a number of viewers who took to Twitter with jokes about him flinching in response to the quiz show’s buzzer.

One user said: “Just caught up on last night’s University Challenge and Hanson might be my favourite contestant ever!”

Another person tweeted: “I am snorting at University Challenge, when Hanson jumped at the buzzer. He is me when I wake up every morning, remembering I’m alive. #UniversityChallenge”

Hanson, originally from Gravesend, Kent, also joined in on the gag – tweeting a GIF of himself captioned: “Playing it cool on #universitychallenge.”

UoM have secured a place in the next round after defeating the University of East London last month.

Hanson’s teammates include PhD students Alex Antao and Georgia Lynott. This year’s UoM team captain is James Ross, a master’s student from Coventry. The team has an average age of 26.

The University of Manchester has previously won University Challenge 4 times and are tied with Magdalen College, Oxford, for the highest number of victories.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies