• Sport
  • England to play Netherlands in UEFA Nations League semi-final

chrisperrin

England to play Netherlands in UEFA Nations League semi-final

The competition presents a fresh chance for the Three Lions to add to their trophy cabinet for the first time since 1966
Кирилл Венедиктов @ Wikimedia Commons

England have been drawn against the Netherlands in the semi-finals of the UEFA Nations League. The tie will take place in Guimaraes on 6 June 2019, with the winner playing either Portugal or Switzerland in the final on the 9th.

England impressed in the group stage against Spain and World Cup runners-up Croatia, securing their place in the semi-finals last month after an inspiring comeback against Croatia at Wembley. Although England may fancy their chances of reaching the final, the Netherlands will prove to be a challenging test for Gareth Southgate’s side.

Not long ago, the Netherlands appeared to be lost in the wilderness of international football. The Dutch failed to qualify for both the 2016 European Championships and the 2018 World Cup. You’d have been forgiven for thinking that they would not have the quality to overcome Germany and France in a tough Nations League group.

Yet since the appointment of Ronald Koeman in February, the Netherlands have enjoyed a resurgence. Against the odds they finished top of their group. Two commanding victories in front of home support stood out; 2-0 and 3-0 wins against France and Germany respectively.

Like his English counterpart, Koeman encourages his team to play a free-flowing, attacking style of play, well-suited to his young and energetic side.  The spine of the Dutch team features some familiar faces to English fans: Liverpool stars Virgil Van Djik and Georginio Wijnaldum, and former Manchester United striker Memphis Depay, who has started living up to his potential at Lyon.

The last encounter between the two nations was a friendly in March, when a Jesse Lingard goal secured the win for England. Both teams have developed a great deal since then, and the stakes will be much higher this time round.

Some have belittled the Nations League, but it presents a great opportunity to win silverware. Both England and the Netherlands will relish this opportunity. The semi-final next June promises to be exciting contest.

DOING WHAT THE MEN COULDN’T: THE IMPORTANCE OF THE LIONESSES EURO WIN

The Lionesses brought football home in 2022, something the men haven’t done since 1966. The whole nation supported our women this summer, and this momentum must be continued for the good of the game.
“If there’s no legacy to this … what are we doing?”: A love letter to Women’s Football

I’ve always loved football but it hasn’t always been easy … will the 2022 Euros change that for girls nationwide?
5”1 in a giants world: In conversation with Amrisha Kudhail

An interview with Amrisha Kudhail, discussing the excitement building around basketball, her transition from a dance background and advice for those wanting to become involved within the sports industry
Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester