saoirseakhtarfarren

Artefact of the Week: ‘Rain’ by Lemn Sissay

In this edition of Artefact of the Week, Saoirse Akhtar-Farren investigates Lemn Sissay’s ‘Rain’ on the side of Gemini Cafe, Waterloo Road

As part of my walk from Fallowfield to Uni, I know my destination is on the horizon when my brow crumples in an attempt to figure out how the fragmented letters read, on left the side of Gemini Café on Dilworth Street. The poem that adorns the café‘s left side, is called “Rain.” It is a work by one of Manchester’s most famous poets, Lemn Sissay.

Intrigued by the artwork, I searched online intending to decipher what appeared to be a riddle, to awkwardly realise that the letters are read vertically…

‘Rain’, now legible, revealed an optimistic take on Manchester’s nation-famous weather. Yes, you guessed it — rain.

The rainy weather is described as the necessary factor in the natural phenomenon of rainbows, which I thought could reveal a deeper sentiment for Manchester, now being the third most friendly city for the LGBT+ community in Britain.

Just as the gay community have become role models for reclaiming historically offensive words such as ‘queer’, Sissay does the same for Manchester’s grey clouds and puddle-ridden streets.

Portrayed as inconvenient and disruptive, Sissay reclaims the unfavourable weather type as part of the “Mancunian way.” Indeed, Mancunians themselves treasure Sissay’s ‘Rain’, with one women tattooing “Mancunian way” on the inside of their arm, while another woman named her child ‘Rain’, after the poem.

Like many individuals raised in Britain, Sissay comes from a culturally diverse background, yet in just 22 words Sissay captures the Mancunian collective identity that is uniquely shared by individuals of all races, classes, and heritages.

‘Rain’ makes me internally smile. For it is only the people who know Manchester that appreciate how rain can make us collectively think of inexhaustible happiness and opportunities in the face of such sad weather.  

Regardless of the temperature, Manchester is home.

University launch British Pop Archive with unseen items from Joy Division’s Ian Curtis

Announcing the British Pop Archive at the university’s very own John Rylands Library. Including artefacts from Joy Division’s Ian Curtis, New Order, the Sex Pistols, and Granada Television.
Derek Jarman: PROTEST! Art and Activism collide at Manchester Art Gallery

Sarah Taylor reviews Manchester Art Gallery’s retrospective exhibition on the life and works of prolific filmmaker, artist, and activist Derek Jarman.
Michelangelo in Manchester: Sistine Chapel comes to Trafford Palazzo

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy attends a press viewing of the Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel exhibit at Trafford Palazzo
MACFEST, Muslim Arts and Culture Festival, comes back to Manchester this February

Launching on the 5th of February, MACFEST 2022 offers over 75 events that showcase the Muslim culture, from debates to workshops and art exhibitions