isabellajewell

Artefact of the Week: Hardy’s Well

Bella Jewell delves deeper into the history and significance of Hardy’s Well: the soon-to-be lost home to Lemn Sissay’s first Landmark Poem, and the hub of a community
Artefact of the Week: Hardy’s Well
Photo: Isabella Jewell

When gormlessly staring out of the Magic Bus window, a slightly shabby boarded-up pub can go unnoticed. On closer inspection, written in gold print on a navy background is ‘Hardy’s Well’ – the name of this mysterious establishment.

Beyond the graffiti that now adorns its walls, and the peeling fence surrounding the site, Hardy’s Well is, in fact, both a poetic monument and a central part of Rusholme’s identity.

This 200-year-old pub is the site of Lemn Sissay’s first ‘landmark poem’. The renowned poet and Chancellor of The University of Manchester describes this as ‘public art’ on his blog. He further outlines how this first move towards making poetry public has sparked a vibrant ‘movement in contemporary poetry in England.’  

His poem, ‘Hardy’s Well’, was first painted onto the south-facing wall of the pub in 1994. This followed a rumoured conversation between Sissay, a regular at the establishment, and its landlord regarding the lack of public access to poetry.

According to his blog, Sissay’s ‘landmark poetry’ movement draws upon the traditions of the concrete poets of the 1950s and 60s. Sissay places importance on the typography and aesthetic form of the poem, alongside its poetic content.  

Recent developments, however, threaten the future of Hardy’s Well and the milestone poem. In August 2016 the establishment was shut down and there are now plans to redevelop the building into a block of flats.

Seamus O’Brolchain, a campaigner from the group, ‘Let’s Save Hardy’s Well’, stated that what was once “a quiet and welcoming pub with a strong core of regulars,” started to struggle after a change in management. After a variety of attempts to resuscitate business, including “tellies for the football, DJs, quiz nights, [and] gastropub scran” – O’Brolchain recounts how regulars were alienated, and new custom was not achieved. “Hardy’s days were numbered.”

Although this may not appear particularly remarkable given the current economic climate, and the ongoing decimation of independent pub culture, O’Brolchain passionately describes how the proposed changes “would be to lose a part of our community.” O’Brolchain laments Rusholme’s declining pub culture going so far as to describe the establishments as “hives of activity.” This sentiment is echoed by Sissay’s poem – ‘whoever walks into the well will wade into a wonderous world.’

With the campaign to have the building permanently protected looking bleak, Sissay’s poem and a piece of shared culture may be lost in the next year.

O’Brolchain disdainfully characterises this likely outcome to be “the gradual gutting of working-class spaces [and] the destruction of thriving communities.” In this age of gentrification and the ever-changing landscape of Manchester, we must look up from our smartphones and absorb these unlikely monuments to Community. O’Brolchain credits the loss of these communal spaces with the “epidemic of loneliness and isolation in South and Central Manchester.” Hardy’s Well is more than a ghost of the past, it represents the glue that once held a community together.     

Up close and personal with West Art Collective

Antwerp Mansion’s West Art Collective is a rising and unstoppable influence on the Manchester Art Scene. We spot to art director Lucy Indelicate about what makes Antwerp Mansion the perfect place for art

How to DIY the perfect Christmas gift on a budget

Homemade Christmas presents are a shining example of how a little can go a long way. As our budgets tighten this winter, an affordable handmade candle is the perfect gift for friends and family

Creating Christmas at Manchester’s biggest festive fair

As the year ends, Cotton On Manchester has once again provided a wonderful, art-filled respite – the Art All Dayer: Winter Edition

Dandy Style: Men’s fashion from regency to runway

Manchester Art Gallery opens its new Fashion Gallery with an ambitious exploration of men’s clothing, race and identity