harrydeacon

Construction crisis in Manchester City Centre

Concern is rife over whether the issues raised by the public over road closures and construction sites are actually being heard
N Chadwick @geograph

Manchester Councillors are trying to figure out how to handle the disruptive side-effects of ongoing construction work in Manchester City Centre.

With over 60 major developments currently processing, city centre roads are set to close for years on end, with councillors seeking advice as to whether developers can be forced to re-open streets that have been indefinitely stopped up.

The problem lies in the fact that after paying a one-off £4,000 sum, there is “no restriction” on how long developers can keep roads shut, according to Miles Platting and Newton Heath Councillor John Flanagan.

The topic was discussed at a public neighbourhoods committee meeting, where attendees made it clear that they remained frustrated by the role of developers in creating a gridlock in the city centre.

Deansgate Councillor William Jeavons is fighting to restrict the gridlock, saying that the prolonged inconvenience caused by the property firms is “disingenuous to the people that live in this city.”

With a further 68 developments just around the corner, Councillor Jeavons is concerned about the impact that not only Deansgate, but the whole of Manchester, will feel in the coming months.

Although it is evident that the issue is being addressed, there is still “room for improvement” in the eyes of Director of Highways Steve Robinson.

This suggests that the problem of gridlocked traffic and shut-off roads, such as Liverpool Road and Quay Street, will not disappear in the forthcoming future.

City Centre residents and students alike will have to bear the brunt of stop-and-start buses, constant construction noise, and unfinished eye-sores, for the imminent future at least.

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society