isabellajewell

The Chanteuse comes to Club Academy

A preview of a University-led event; The Chanteuse is coming to Club Academy, bringing with her some of the greatest french classics of the 1960s and 70s
The Chanteuse comes to Club Academy
Photo: Poster @ The University of Manchester

On Wednesday the 27th March, why not branch out into the world of French music? It promises to be an aptly European way to purge those Brexit blues, with a Q&A session, followed by a performance of the Manchester-based, The Chanteuse.

Lucy Hope, a.k.a, The Chanteuse specialises in covers of 1960s-1970s French songs, think Charles Aznavour, Françoise Hardy, and Serge Gainsbourg. The University of Manchester French department has organised this free event, which is open to all students, in tandem with undergraduate students, who will lead the Q&A session.

The Chanteuse’s performance, which will take place in Club Academy, follows the recent release of an album of songs written by French author and Nobel Prize winner of Literature, Patrick Mondiano. The French department describes how her jazz-influenced music “brings to life some of the perennial attributes of French popular music – romance and melancholy, protest and sensuality.”

“The discussion will cover Lucy’s musical inspiration, her Channel-hopping career, the similarities and contrasts between France and the UK’s popular music cultures, possibly the benefits of bilingualism.”

So if you’re craving the continental, make sure to come along to Club Academy on the 27th. The event will be a fascinating insight into The Chanteuse’s creative processes as well as an opportunity to listen to iconic songs from her new album, ‘Mondiano’.

The event will take place on Wednesday the 27th March from 4pm to  6pm and is free to attend for all students.

Live review: Renée Rapp at the O2 Apollo

On the heels of her recent success as Regina George in the Mean Girls reboot, Renée Rapp performed in Manchester for the first time and what a night it was

Album review: The Foyer Project – In: Static

Dark, dramatic, devastating: the experimental, UoM-student-produced album has been remixed and reissued alongside a selection of previously-unreleased tracks

Everything Everything: “I’m just trying to reflect the effect of this system on humanity”

In advance of ‘Mountainhead’, Jonathan from Everything Everything talks to us about Manchester bands, capitalist realism, Stockport, and staying experimental

The 1975 live in Manchester: A romantic night at the arena

British pop-rock band, The 1975, brought their highly talked about ‘At their very best’ show back to the UK after a year, rebranded as ‘Still…At their very best’