isabellajewell

The Chanteuse comes to Club Academy

A preview of a University-led event; The Chanteuse is coming to Club Academy, bringing with her some of the greatest french classics of the 1960s and 70s
The Chanteuse comes to Club Academy
Photo: Poster @ The University of Manchester

On Wednesday the 27th March, why not branch out into the world of French music? It promises to be an aptly European way to purge those Brexit blues, with a Q&A session, followed by a performance of the Manchester-based, The Chanteuse.

Lucy Hope, a.k.a, The Chanteuse specialises in covers of 1960s-1970s French songs, think Charles Aznavour, Françoise Hardy, and Serge Gainsbourg. The University of Manchester French department has organised this free event, which is open to all students, in tandem with undergraduate students, who will lead the Q&A session.

The Chanteuse’s performance, which will take place in Club Academy, follows the recent release of an album of songs written by French author and Nobel Prize winner of Literature, Patrick Mondiano. The French department describes how her jazz-influenced music “brings to life some of the perennial attributes of French popular music – romance and melancholy, protest and sensuality.”

“The discussion will cover Lucy’s musical inspiration, her Channel-hopping career, the similarities and contrasts between France and the UK’s popular music cultures, possibly the benefits of bilingualism.”

So if you’re craving the continental, make sure to come along to Club Academy on the 27th. The event will be a fascinating insight into The Chanteuse’s creative processes as well as an opportunity to listen to iconic songs from her new album, ‘Mondiano’.

The event will take place on Wednesday the 27th March from 4pm to  6pm and is free to attend for all students.

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT