• Piccadilly Gardens suspect package “not viable”

joshsandiford
3rd May 2019

Piccadilly Gardens suspect package “not viable”

Reports say there are currently large sections of Piccadilly Gardens cordoned off, with photos showing a rucksack shaped object leaning against a tree
Photos by @FrankyBabes via Twitter

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have confirmed that they do not believe the package which led to the evacuation of Piccadilly Gardens is ‘viable’.

Having initially lifted the cordon, reports from the Manchester Evening News suggest now that the Police are re-evacuating the area once more.

The Gardens, in Manchester city centre, were sealed off due to reports of a ‘suspicious package’ at around 1:30 pm. A 26-year-old man remains in police custody for questioning.

Oldham Library was also evacuated after reports of a suspicious package, with officers “keeping an open mind and are exploring the possibility the incidents are linked”.

Assessors and the Fire Service were on the scene in Piccadilly Gardens, with emergency services working hard to conclude their investigation and lift the cordon.

Buses and trams were evacuated and unable to move on the news of the package, with Manchester Metrolink confirming there were no services operating in Piccadilly due to the ‘police incident’ during cordon.

A large section of the city centre was cordoned off, with shops evacuated and a heavy police presence in the surrounding areas.

People working in and around the city centre were asked to stay indoors and await further information from the Police.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

“Appetite” for escalation, says UoM Rent Strike

The University of Manchester Rent Strike claims to have withheld half a million pounds in rent, and have threatened to escalate the strike further