joshsandiford
3rd May 2019

Piccadilly Gardens suspect package “not viable”

Reports say there are currently large sections of Piccadilly Gardens cordoned off, with photos showing a rucksack shaped object leaning against a tree
Photos by @FrankyBabes via Twitter

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have confirmed that they do not believe the package which led to the evacuation of Piccadilly Gardens is ‘viable’.

Having initially lifted the cordon, reports from the Manchester Evening News suggest now that the Police are re-evacuating the area once more.

The Gardens, in Manchester city centre, were sealed off due to reports of a ‘suspicious package’ at around 1:30 pm. A 26-year-old man remains in police custody for questioning.

Oldham Library was also evacuated after reports of a suspicious package, with officers “keeping an open mind and are exploring the possibility the incidents are linked”.

Assessors and the Fire Service were on the scene in Piccadilly Gardens, with emergency services working hard to conclude their investigation and lift the cordon.

Buses and trams were evacuated and unable to move on the news of the package, with Manchester Metrolink confirming there were no services operating in Piccadilly due to the ‘police incident’ during cordon.

A large section of the city centre was cordoned off, with shops evacuated and a heavy police presence in the surrounding areas.

People working in and around the city centre were asked to stay indoors and await further information from the Police.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society

University receives accreditation from United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)

The University receives accreditation from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), joining the ranks of just five universities in the UK to achieve such recognition